Do we have a photo printer?

I have a bunch of glossy photo paper of different sizes and would love to get some prints done! Do we have a photo printer at DMS?

Thank you!

What size? The HP DesignJet is coming soon to a theater near you

1 Like

Yayy! To tell you the truth, my paper is packed up in a box right now just waiting for its moment to shine! So I don’t know the exact sizes, but I think I have 9x9 and 8.5x11. I know they are both “Glossy Photo paper”

The HP DesignJet printer will handle both roll paper and single sheet feed paper. The 44" printer has several rolls of paper that will come with it, some of the rolls are glossy. The printer will be delivered when ever the Wide Format Printer SIG wants it.

3 Likes

And I have a spot ready for it to live already :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you again for getting it in working order. The comittee did approve the part/ink so I’m sure Paul will be getting with you soon!

The paper is mission critical, and the ICC Profile to the paper is the issue. If you choose to print, and choose an ICC profile that is matched to the paper, you should get a good result. If you just hit “print” without regard to the profile, your results are not guaranteed.

At some point, we will probably need to profile these proofers for several different papers/substrates.

1 Like

I’m sure. First we need to see if they don’t already have one and figure out the logistics of the room. If the runway doesn’t have enough clearance we may not have tons of media anyway

@mc1252

Seems they do have a printer.

Pending. We have not gotten it moved in yet and set up.

1 Like

Roger that

My personal perspective on ICC profiles, calibration, etc. is that we should keep up with them to the level of maintaining the equipment, but not worrying about meeting commercial levels of color matching specifications.

DMS is not a professional printing service, and should not be held to the standards of such. To try to do so would IMO burn far to much volunteer time for something that is readily available at multiple locations around the DFW area.

As far as in-house media stock, I believe we should stock a minimal number of varieties. Gloss and matte only would be fine, allowing for use of pre-approved additional media just like the filament choices in the 3d printers.

4 Likes

The user “should” get billed and “pay” for all prints good or not so good unless the printer itself has a failure(and that is a rarity in a new printer).

1 Like