Do we have a hand vacuum pump for checking EVAP systems?

I need to test a handful of components on my EVAP system and need to be able to pull a moderate vacuum. It think this requires a hand vacuum pump with a gauge similar to that’s pictured below. Does DMS own one?

Phil

1 Like

I have a smoke generator that you could borrow. Not sure when I will be back in though. It is basically a paint can with a hose that you connect to the air compressor, and the car’s battery. Fill it a bit with baby oil, and it pumps smoke into the evap system. Makes finding a leak super easy.

2 Likes

Very generous offer. I will keep that in mind, but I don’t think I have a leak, rather, I think there may a defective valve or pump and I need to apply a vacuum and see if it’s operating correctly. I will get back to you if I need to borrow your generator.

Thanks again,

Phil

I know that you can get these for just a few bucks at Harbor Freight.

We did or do - I cannot say for sure where it is.
wire shelves or perhaps the bottom drawer of the black tool box

1 Like

Thank you for all the helpful replies. It turns out that it was a faulty oxygen sensor and not a vacuum leak. Car is now fixed and ready to pass its annual inspection.

Thanks again,

Phil

2 Likes

I would love to borrow your smoke generator. I have a 87 Mercedes that I think has a vacuum line leak an this has been a pain to try to find. Let me know if possible.

If that fails, I can bring a smoke machine to the space for use one evening…I just need some notice.

1 Like

Bryan, I can make that happen. When do you need it?

@bryanshoe I will be at the space tonight. I’ll bring the smoke machine and put it in my box.

Thanks. I was troubling storing electrical and still think it is vacuumed. I will be the DMS tonight also for the PlasmaCAM class. I will try to find you before 7:00 pm.

Thanks.
Bryan

Gary,

I am at DMS now and will be in the Purple training room starting @ 7:00 then moving to the plasma cutter.

thanks,
Bryan,

I ended up not getting to go. I will be there today or tomorrow, and I will put it in my box. Sorry for the confusion. Life happens.

1 Like

Thanks for the offer to use. I saw how easy to build on youtube and I just built my own using a soldering iron, a paint can and misc components. Works great!

Thanks again.

Sorry you had to build one. I left it mine on the shelf in automotive a week or so ago, but forgot to tell you. I’ve been slammed at work.

Let me know when that happens. I have 2 cars that have vacuum leaks

george,

I’ll bring mine down thursday if you’re going to be at the Space - I’ll be there all night starting at 8pm…

I’ll see you tomorrow. :smiley: