Do we have a coil spring compressor?

I’m wanting to replace the front coil over shocks on my 14 Tundra.

Do we have a coil spring compressor large enough?

Yes, it’s on the shelf in a big heavy plastic box.

1 Like

I hope not. Those things can unpredictably become missile launchers. Back when I worked at a dealership we had ours in a back room and only the operator was allowed in when it was in use.

They’re simple enough if you know what you’re doing. Still wouldn’t want one around the space with everyone milling about…

Jray,
Like many things in maintenance & repair (not just on daily stteet vehicles ) tools and or procedures can be dangerous. Tires and batteries can expode - did your dealership only service tires or batteries in a separate room?

The space has more than one spring compressor. The tools are not dangerous - some of the people using them are (just like firearms).

2 Likes

Is it just me, or does automotive collect a disproportionate amount of doom and gloom? Everything we do will kill everyone in an instant!

To say nothing of the potential for deadly lathe injuries, saw safety issues, negligent zinc welding, firearm handling, or any of the other things that can cause death or dismemberment. Our tools are dangerous. Use them with caution. You signed a waiver when you walked in the door for a reason.

Spring compressors are no more dangerous than anything else. The only failures I’ve ever witnessed resulted in the operator smarting himself, and no other damage being done. The energy stored in a compressed spring might be high, but the mechanism of releasing that energy is inefficient.

2 Likes

Thank you for all the replies.

zmetzing, when I first saw your post, I thought, oh no. I expected some backwards engineered shade tree mechanic idea, but that method is actually pretty good and safe. The coil is captured by both the strut and upper control arm so if something where to let loose the energy on the compressed spring wouldn’t have anywhere to go. I can see myself pinching my fingers though trying to align shaft of the strut through the top hat while someone else works the jack, but that is just because I’m clumsy and accident prone.

2 Likes

If you want help - let me know.
I’m usually open for weeknights after 7pm and the occasional weekend.

Thank you for the offer!

My Barracuda and mom’s Duster had torsion bars (sadly she had a newer and faster car, having you’re mom shut you down is shaming in a class by itself.) Personally I loved them. If they are good enough for Panzers, they’re good enough for me.

Wow, a suspension shaped around just bending a steel rod hah

The great thing about them is how easy adjustment, literally you turned a bolt that turned the torsion bar. You could adjust the height of the car - but do too much and the camber would be off.

Not sure why they got rid of them, @TLAR you have any idea? They were simple and not in the way of the shocks.

Lack of progressive capability, packaging, weight, etc.
As people came to buy trucks instead of cars, they still wanted the soft ride, so vehicles which formerly prided themselves on strength and longevity had to find new ways to appeal.Thus, the fall of steering by links (recirculating ball/worm & sector) for the rise of rack and pinion; the fall of leaf and torsion bar springs in favor of coils, etc.
Then there’s the weight thing. We started mandating more weight in other places (door reinforcement, rollover hoops, airbags, etc.) but demanded higher economy, so the weight needed to come from somewhere. Suspension was one of the places they looked for savings. Coils tend to weigh less, and are less complex to mount.
I’m sure there are other reasons, but those spring immediately to mind…

1 Like

Or SAS.

Won ton pre-install, but not a IFS.

1 Like