Do the makerspace have one of these objects?

I need to crush some gemstones and wanted to know if there was an anvil or galvanized pipe with a cap?

Thanks

Yes, we have several anvils. What type of gemstones? I just don’t want the Anvils to be damaged(It happens.)

If you have any suggestions would help me dearly otherwise, I will wrap it in a cloth hopefully that would not damage the anvils. I would be crushing red opal, turquoise, amethyst, citrine etc.

When are you looking to do it? I’ve got a small anvil I can drop off that can take some dents and stuff.

Really wow that would be awesome. I will be at DMS around 3:30 pm- 4:00pm on Friday April 15.

Anvils are in the metal shop.

the two small ones on the ground in the photo.

Since I got asked twice- I wasn’t worried about the gems damaging the anvils, mainly stray hammer hits or heavy impact from whatever is crushing the gems.

1 Like

Thanks Mitch I appreciate the information your provided.

Would brass hammers work for the crushing? It’d protect your anvil.

Yeah, but I got those two small ones specifically for small jewelry work, so might as well have them used.

1 Like

Let me know when you’re done with them so I can take them home, please. Thanks!

We have large (2 lb??) brass hammers in with the Blacksmithing tools. They are used when cutting iron with the hot-cut to prevent damaging the cutting edge of the hot-cut.

You could put a steel plate on top of the anvil to spread any impact. For that matter, if you had a steel plate, you could just place it on the ground and whack away on it.

1 Like

Thanks Mitch for bringing the anvils that is very generous. You can take the anvils home now the hammering of the gemstones does not have a consistency for me. So I am using a galvanized pipe with a cap and placing the gems inside it using a smaller pipe to crush them.