Do I need safety training before using woodworking power tools?

Just joined. Want to use woodworking tools. initially table saw; compound miter, planer, jointer. Do I need safety training? If yes, what do I need to do to schedule the training.

Most power tools require training. Here is a link that will take you to our tools list . It is a vast clearinghouse of most tool-related information including which tools require training.

Keep your eyes fixed on calendar. You’re looking for Woodshop Safety and Orientation. It fills almost as fast as it’s posted, so you have to keep a keen eye on it.

Also keep your eye on Talk. People frequently post on Talk when they have scheduled a class. Typically a class isn’t available for registration until 72 hours after the person posts it but sometime an admin will clear a class for posting faster than that.

I believe the Calendar channel of Discord mentions new classes as they become available, and I think you can set up Discord to notify you.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the space!

Most of the heavy machinery in wood shop does require training (or rather, it requires you to take the safety and orientation class). That can usually be found: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/

That class does not necessarily happen on a set schedule (since everybody is a volunteer), but if the dates/ times don’t work, or you don’t see any - making a request here on the forum with some days and times that do work for you may get a teacher to either offer a one-on-one, or set up a class in that range.

Edit: hecc, that is two posts that I’ve double on today xD

1 Like