DMS Racing: Lemons MSR Houston 2015

Are you referring to the travel as in the floating caliper slide pins? I can’t recall if we changed the rear pads in february, I couldn’t find a mention of that in the last build thread, but we might have.

Yeah, the caliper slides. The fact that someone (don’t remember his name) was asserting that he had just changed the pads, but the fact that they looked at least partially worn to me, was a bit disconcerting.

Hmm, constantly refreshing the long range weather forecast is starting to look worse, we may get plenty of drift practice…

We got our drift kart ready to take with us (our theme is Mario kart and the race car is a huge blue shell)

4 Likes

I had contemplated taking that thing for a spin, but looking at you all hunched up, I’m not sure I would have been able to.

1 Like

Hopefully you can do a qualifying lap with the gokart on the track.

It might even make it that far with reasonable throttle management.

Beware, the Judges are going to want to ride it to death.

Edit: Can’t wait to see Judge Phil on it.

1 Like

Sounds like extra batteries or some means to quickly recharge is necessary… Not that I can help with that in any way.

Needs more Teslas in the race with you.

1 Like

Step one, get to the track

2 Likes

DOH! Luckily enough you have a few tools with you. At least it’d be a ‘fast’ trip to get parts (so long as you didn’t get arrested).

Step one complete

One of the tow vehicles decided to create a smoke screen by dumping trans oil cooler line onto the exhaust, was luckily a quick fix replacing the special fitting that came loose

8 Likes

Some interesting pics for the gearheads amongs us

The DMS team getting ready for Friday’s track n tune

Corner balanced

um, TX longhorn pissed about Halloween ???

Ratson- all the superheroes will be needed when you mix one part Datsun to 2 parts rat rod

80s era stang engine stuffed into model A (?) rails, with some pipe welding, and ya have the coolest ratty running the race

6 Likes

Jay’s car has a blown head gasket and likely warped head, the red one has a clutch/ tranny issue that Aaron looks like he may have conquered

We are doing ok in spite of having three meatball flags for mowing the lawn. Of the 70 odd cars that started, there were 40 some still running and we are 18th or so

9 Likes

Step three: Cross the finish line

There may have been some other steps in there somewhere

8 Likes

Hah, didn’t know we were liveblogging this.

The Taepodong 3 suffered clutch throwout bearing failure, twice. The first time, we spent six hours removing the transmission to replace the throwout bearing. We had to wait for the exhaust to cool, and some homebrew cooling modifications got in our way. By chance, a shop at MSR had a replacement on hand. The second time it failed (after 2 hours of hard driving), we just decided to go clutchless and match the revs to preserve a pitiful 44th finish (after posting laps that should have put us in the top 5). We have no idea why two bearings disintegrated on us in one race. We replaced the clutch about a year ago, but have raced since then with no problems.

Gokart got a lot of interest. People were asking me where they could get their own.

2 Likes

What lap times were you able to get? I think out best was around 2:04 with our 280 treadwear old primewell tires, about 8 seconds off the best lap times.

Also for future reference, bolts or rivets are needed to hold cheap plastic cones onto a car at ~100mph. Various types of glues failed

3 Likes

I’m glad you guys actually got to race this time!