DMS Racing: Lemons MSR Houston 2015

Y’all replacing the fuel filter at the same time? I think thats generally recommended when replacing the tank. BTW getting OEM is totally worth it. Bough $160 a tank from RockAuto once and things were just a little off and a huge PITA to install compared to stock.

Funny story, we have replaced the fuel filter and pump several times, I cost us an entire day of racing our first year out in this car when I replaced the fuel pump during the initial build but not the plastic neck inside the sock on the end of the pump.

The plastic neck inside the sock cracked during racing and a tiny piece of plastic got lodged inside the fuel pump, causing intermittent failure as the little tiny piece of plastic would jam the fuel pump while on track, but then get dislodged during the tow back to the pits so the car would start working again. We repeated that cycle about 6 times while rewiring the fuel pump and swapping the filter until we finally figured it out that night. Also reaching into a full tank of gas to pull out the fuel pump is not fun.

1 Like

It’s looking less and less likely that I’ll be able to attend the meeting tomorrow :cry:
There’s still a small chance, but it’s dependent on others and what their schedules fall out to be.

I would love to be involved in with DMS’s Lemons team and help out anyway I can, and will be at the meeting tomorrow.

Had lots of people attend the kickoff meeting, we got a prelimanry list of drivers down and then we were able to swap in the new tank in a few hours, for hopefully the last time, the fuel gauge and pump and everything even worked on the first try after reassembly.

Will be working on ordering some more parts, power steering, new tires, brake pads, fluids this week. We will meet again this coming saturday at 2pm to work on the car some more, but there are currently no known issues other than the flaky speedometer, which doesn’t really matter on a track.

3 Likes

Brandon,
When (time and day) do you plan to head to Houston & return with the Lemons car for the race next month?

We are planning on heading out thursday november 12th in the afternoon, and will return sunday night. There are two other teams that some DMS members are on that we will coordinate with to drive down at the same time.

Will be at DMS at 2pm this saturday to continue working on the car and plan out what we want to do for tires.

Brandon happen to know what tires you are looking for and I will be on the lookout

BFG Rivals are the commonly used good tire, not sure on size yet as we may want to upsize from the stock 15" wheels

We run Dunlop ZII Star Specs. I cant recomment them enough. Got about 30 hours of track on each set. Predictable wear. Communicative loss of traction at the edges. Absolutely horrible in the rain though, and its rained the last two times we ran Houston.

1 Like

We got some boots replaced and adjusted the front alignment, we are at about 2.75 degrees negative camber and 0 toe. Also filled up the gas tank for the first time and found no leaks for once, so the car actually appears to be ready to race (minus some routine fluid replacement)

1 Like

I assume you used the new alignment equipment. How was it?
Project’s looking great!
I wish i could have played along. …

Another vote for StarSpecII, but they might run out after 2 10 Hour sessions, and yeah, there’s nothing there in the wet.

As an aside it would be nice to know when people plan to work on the car, so that we can plan to show up!

1 Like

Would anyone happen to have a yoshi costume laying around? Along with our MarioKart theme we will be taking the wooden electric drift kart, and I was thinking the driver of the kart could be dressed as yoshi

4 Likes

yoshi hat might be enough to pull off the effect, albeit an entire costume might win you awards. amazon has one for ~$70 http://www.amazon.com/Yoshi-moto-Green-Adult-Costume-XSmall/dp/B00LXV8DE0/ref=br_lf_m_ta9grrr3hr6z8mf_1_4_ttl/181-5347206-9793804?ie=UTF8&s=apparel

Ummm… that costume is a bit FAIL. :smirk:

Maybe this with a green Makerspace shirt?

We will be meeting this Saturday at 2pm to begin final prep on the car(only 2 weekends left before race) and to learn the track by playing rfactor and going over some basic driver strategy.

1 Like

Ugh, won’t be able to attend this one either. Working out of town from Friday AM through Sunday eve. :sob:

This past weekend we changed the brake pads and fluid and flushed the antifreeze, and we practiced learning the track some in rfactor. All that is left for this last saturday before race weekend is decorating the kart that we will be taking with us and any mario kart related decorations we want to do for our theme.

I’d appreciate a little notice on things like this. Even if I can’t participate in this race, i’m still wanting to be involved.
It did look like the brakes needed to be changed to me, but one of the guys who were at one of the meetings that I did hear about me that they had JUST been changed. If they were correct, then it might be good to check the travel of the calipers as it appeared worn to me. Not unsafely so, but enough that if it WAS dragging, then it’ll burn through a set of pads in no time on the track.