DMS Plan Book for New Recruits

I guess? I know what repair a PC means and understand the last bullet point is playing capture the flag but everything else might as well be half enochian. I’m sure there would be more explanation (hopefully) for plebians like me but that list is all kinds of over my head personally

This guy gets my knowledge level

so funny story - I took 3d printing basics some weeks ago and FINALLY got around to finding a file and doing my first slice and print I remembered kisslicer - just the software name and that we needed that to make STL files printable…

now - do like I did and just TRY to print something at DMS with only that information…

2 hours later after pouring over the bare bones wiki - I ran into Max who was giving a basics class and I took it again and started my print job with him helping me find everything again - and why? - because there is almost NO detail on the 3Dfab wiki… I needed the crayon level to do it the first time…

Now - after my print job taking 11 hours - and yes - I was at DMS the WHOLE time… - I will double my efforts to learn a LOT more about slicing to bring that same print job down to 2 to 3 hours…

So yes - detailed crayon level with pictures please - we must crawl before we can walk…

7 Likes

One thing to think about is how to explain this to someone after we stop using Kisslicer or the options change in the update? This is the problem with going too detailed. We need to be able to explain it but in a way that they understand the concepts and can adapt them to the situation.

I think the term is ELI5 … Explain it like I’m Five.

That would be so cool! I’ve seen recipe books that give you useful specs on the top corner of each page - in this case, time to make, cost to make, and prerequisites required. I can see your point, though - “ease of updating as equipment changes” might be a good case for going the wiki route. And may be more doable if each committee only has, say, three makeable recipes to keep up to date.

1 Like

I’d be willing to help with this class, or even to teach it.

Makerables Project Book

Maybe a leather working class to make a book for all the projects.

• Leather working class and instructions
    • Templates, files, etc.
  • Laser etching instructions and settings

Maybe even come up with a template so members can upload their Makerables Project with files similar to Instructables - except all in-house projects. Would need to have Creative Commons License. This would be a good way for members and DMS to get recondition for their work.

I think the idea of having a regular class Like every 2 Thursday or Every other Monday that is sponsored by a different group that builds on a project would be outstanding. i.e.

Wood Shop - Make wood forms to wet form leather
Leather - Wet for leather and bind a book of all the instructions to each of these or blank pages
Laser - Laser engrave cool stuff on the front
Jewelry - Make a cool trinket or book mark or clasp
Wood Shop or Machine Shop - Make a pen to use when writing in the book
Electronics - Use a small aduino board to add LED Lights

Each of these classes can serve as an introduction to a group.

I think some of these classes that let members get to know multiple areas would be great. Sometimes people that wood work don’t know why they would want to work with leather or with a laser.

What is great is all the classes would not be required but all of them would add something to it.

4 Likes

Neat! Super neat! You know, in education they call it cross-disciplinary learning - when you set up the experiment in Science class, do the calculations in Math, write up the report in English, etc. (Just like in @beard_n_brain 's list above.)

So here’s a zesty notion: what if the book is some kind of scrapbook where you can then keep a record of all the cool stuff you go on to make at DMS? It could include these first projects, so that by the time you’ve made the book there’s already a bunch of good stuff in it - but I think it’d be so nifty for people to finish their “apprenticeship” with a cool custom-made tome that they can take with them to more advanced subjects.

Or, as one of the great bards once said:

“It’s not just a list of things we’ve done in the past, but a chronicling… of our rise, TO POWER!”

4 Likes

It’s been a long day and I’m tired so if I already said this sorry, but I would kill just to have a central list of all the random file types and what you need them for. I’m working on my own already and if it gets completed I’ll just to the main wiki but if someone already had one, fantastic

2 Likes