DMS Plan Book for New Recruits

The idea is a book of plans or projects that can be completed in one day in the space.

Each committee could help find people to write up plans for their areas.
This is something that could even be wall posters.

The projects are something someone could build that gets them in there and making stuff and comfortable with the machines. You could have prerequisites classes listed eg Laser Basics…

I’m sure someone is going to point me some place that has plans and projects… Great, can we publish them and do they represent all committees/areas? The idea is to provide introductions into all of what the makerspace has to offer. And a way that they can work through projects independently.

We could get a collection together and publish a Dallas Makerspace Book. We were looking for a way to get into Wikipedia.

11 Likes

A DMS 1 Day Projects book perhaps?

4 Likes

I like this idea. Are you, or a specific committee, championing this?

1 Like

Somewhere between volunteering and voluntolding is “volunt-ideaing”

OK, it doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue but you get my drift.

2 Likes

Multi-committee Idea: Keyboard wrist rest. Take a piece of (kiln dried) 2x4, you’d need to joint, plane, and tablesaw the basic profile. Bandsaw to round the corners. Sanders to finish up.

Advanced techniques: using the router to hollow out the bottom or add an inset area to the top for a leather insert. Lasers and/or 3d printing to add decoration and bling. Also vinyl cutter could be used to fanci-fy it. Laser cutters to cut a piece of non-slip foam (neoprene?) for the bottom.

We could keep on hand some guidelines for measurements (101-key vs 87-key vs 60% keyboard, recommended thicknesses and angle for the wedge part, etc).

Something with this type of profile would be more challenging than a simple wedge:

3 Likes

There are lots of things you can do in one day with an Arduino.

Same in Jewelry.

Or dye sub. Start with a drawing or a photo and make a shirt, cap, mug or mouse pad.

Making a key fob on the plasma cutter.

Much of this depends upon the availability of classes. I hope you are not setting the expectation that you can do this within 24 hours of joining.

If by championing, you mean cheering everyone on, then yes. haha Many of my days are already filled with DMS volunteer work, booked up at the moment. It was an idea that I had and I hope someone would be willing to pick it up and run with it. Someone needs to get the chairs to talk to their committees.

HAHA … yeah something like that

Good idea …

That would be Day 1 Project Book rather than 1 Day Project Book …

There might should be some projects that can be done on Day 1 … not everything requires Training Classes

2 Likes

Ha, no I meant taking it on as a project. It seems quite a bit of ideas get thrown around, but not a lot of them make it past ideation.

2 Likes

I think some people believe that they have to bare the weight of it alone. This isn’t true. There are many people will all kinds of talents here. The person championing is the one that just gives a bit of order to the project, not the one that has to do it all. They also have to be the one to go out and be the point of contact for the people and share the idea with everyone.

2 Likes

I like this idea. Are you, or a specific committee, championing this?

We’re a collective after all. So does it have to be just one person or one committee?

How about we all come up with a few ideas to contribute to the book?

I’m not saying it has to be one person. I was just asking if this was something being championed with a person or committee organizing it, or if it was an idea being thrown out as a suggestion. I’m interested in this idea, but only if it’s organized.

2 Likes

Not sure about a single day but… a “weekend” friendly hack would be do able for the following:

• Blinky light via the FPGA dev kit in SDC
  • Blinky light via the Arduino dev kit in SDC
  • Hello world in any language on the community grid in VCC
  • Build a Simple game on the C128 and save it to an sd card in Interactive Computer Museum
  • Build a CPU mining pool using VCC designs.
  • Download software from the FIDO net via XM Core BBS in VCC
  • Repair a PC
  • Deploy tensorflow or hadoop to the community grid
  • Join in the Spaces pool with Folding@home, World Community Grid, and DallasMaker.coin
  • Play the virtual CTF
2 Likes

If we are going to form them into a book … we might want to think about them in terms of something they could do not just at the space but their local makerspace.

1 Like

A living hinge notebook on the laser is simple enough to be done in a day and roughly $10-$15 to make. A personalized notebook for future designs/ideas seems like a great place to start.

4 Likes

I love this idea ! I am willing to work on some for jewelry
and for some 2 session clay projects since they have to dry inbetween stage

some of the jewelry projects will be less than 2 hrs

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Leather#Leather_Projects_.2F_Templates

I have been working on something similar for Leather for a while now, but it’s slow going. I get asked about templates, and projects so I’ve been creating wiki pages for each project. It lists the tools needed, the vector templates, and is only lacking the instructions on how to assemble the item. The advantage of a wiki location, or web location vs a book, is being able to supply the files needed for some of these projects.

I’m really interested in this idea, because I can contribute offline. So if someone is willing to champion this idea, I’m willing to commit to help.

3 Likes

Instead of Instructables* … Makeables.

*Love this site, worth the $25/yr to be able to download all the files.

3 Likes

I have a few leather item templates I have reverse engineered off of things I have seen/found online that I would be glad to share. I’ve also created a couple of acrylic templates but I haven’t looked in the cabinet to see if they’re still there. They’re more-than-one-day things but still it would be good to have some options on the wiki.

I recommend that this go into the wiki for every committee and should be a most basic and fully complete project instruction set with pictures. Especially document any necessary software or equipment settings (like kisslicer software download & settings for 3Dfab) and training requirements and of course any safety considerations (like closed toe shoes for wood & machine shop areas)

This must be written down to the crayon level for someone who is entirely unfamiliar and should have a last revised date on the file and the committees need to be charged with maintaining the files when policies change and equipment is upgraded or replaced.

3 Likes

A shop apron with an optionally-embroidered pocket is a good serging/sewing one-day project and almost universally useful.

9 Likes