DMS Open house 2016 follow up

Our success lies within our delicate balance of community + facilities… an elusive recipe which cannot be bought and cannot be faked. Too much of the former turns it into a crash pad where nothing gets done. Too much of the latter turns it into a Home Depot-by-the-hour. Functional, but empty… with no one wanting to be there and contribute.

Events like our annual open house party prove our success due in large part to the efforts of our volunteer leaders (whether on the board or not) and the vibrancy and diversity of our members. Our willingness to collaborate and focus upon excellence, all of us, is the true greatness of our space… and the legacy we are leaving for others.

Well done all… another year in the bag. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I got a quick aerial video of the parking lot around peak time. The parking lot was full end-to-end:

6 Likes

Hey @hasbridge, can we hope to see you and your drones at sling fest?? October 30th in Plano

1 Like

I know I had a great time, even though I only saw the event from the inside of the CA room. I got to meet a lot of excited people, both members and visitors.

We do have about 85 dog tags left over from the open house. They have the Makerspace logo on one side, and I can put one of our open house designs on the other side for you. you can see all of the available designs at Dog Tags for Open House. I just ask that you donate $1 per dog tag to CA to defray the costs.

PM me if you want me to make you one.

2 Likes

I invited a friend to the open house and he signed up all of his family members, too. That is three new memberships at least. I sat down with him when he did it. @hasbridge also hunted down some tags and card for them. I was also told by several on the tour that they were going to join, so I’m a bit surprised by the 10 count.

I wasn’t able to stay all day as it was moving day for my company, but I had a fabulous time. it was great to see all of the wonderful things people are making or have made. I want thank everyone that put in the time to make the event a success.

I think we made a huge presence in the community, too. We have a lot to be proud of.

Don’t forget that the 22nd is North Texas giving day, too. https://northtexasgivingday.org/ You can give to DMS through this.

2 Likes

It is not too late for Ken to submit a 10x10…

3 Likes

Maybe the size requirement could be waved for such a historicaly significant artifact.

I think the 10 counted are primary memberships only, not including addons. I assume the guy you helped only counts as one, with his family members as add-ons to his account.

One of the visitors who took the tour showed me this video. He was good enough to send me a copy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=DrR2DHUuDoY

6 Likes