DMS Open house 2016 follow up

So our open house was a full on success. It was great to see so many members this year. Lots of demos and lots of activities. We had some explosions planned and unplanned and it was great. Please post any videos, pics or stories you have.

9 Likes

I joined the “singed arm hair” club this afternoon.

5 Likes

My kids had a great time. The best day ever is what they said. They can’t wait until the next one. They are still messing with the torn down electronics.

Funny explosion too.

4 Likes

Well, embarrassing by very funny.

From the above video, does @Tapper have a alternate view?

9 Likes

Not enough duck tape?

Great Success!!!

Thanks to all our members that came out and helped. I ran tours all day, so I got to see a lot, but didn’t get to participate much. Thanks to @uglyknees and the creative arts group for all their efforts, that room was packed. Thank to Mel and Alex for their efforts coordinating things. @Lampy handled the Ice Cream explosion gracefully, and the image of children wiping their safety glasses and licking their hands after is one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen. Everyone that helped deserves thanks, so thank you all.

1 Like

Do we have a final count of the number of people who came by?

It was definitely a blast @morganntho and I had a great time. :smiley:

2 Likes

Covered too many vent holes

1 Like

I think the count was around 300 visitors and 10 new members. I’ll let someone else give the exact number if that’s needed. I know others thought this number would be higher but it’s around what I expected. I’ve also heard it said that this means all the effort wasn’t worth it, and I’ll leave everyone to decide that for themselves but I disagree. We’re no longer at a point in our organization where we need more membership. We need more community.

And I think everyone had a good time including a ton of members. It was a great success in my book.

Here are a few pictures I took. I wish I had taken more!

Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading…

5 Likes

It was so worth it. You can’t expect to have something & it be an instant hit. It takes time & experience to gain more. Next year I would like to cut out key chains or something similar. Something to they can take with them that’s tangible. I will donate the steel for it.

3 Likes

And here’s a great shot by @lukeiamyourfather of a giant dinner group after the open house.

4 Likes

Like Tim it was so worth it. A lot of Makers got to show off some of their “Makes” to outsiders as well as to eacother.

I believed the goal of Open House was 3 fold:

1. Just letting people know such a place exist and there is something for everyone, and WE, DMS are a very diverse community of talents, inerterests, and, personalities, as well as a place to express yourself. Over 300 people took the time to drive out and take time out of their day to check us out. Goal achieved.

2. Recruitment, Yes. I was helping people join and get their badges. The number may have been higher as we had some problems (many many thanks to Brooks and Alex for helping resolve some of them … plus I learned a few questions to ask to avoid problems from them). I think we will get more than 10 out of this. But 10 folks is 10 new Makers. Plus I think a number of those folks will be back.

3. We, WE as in members … Celebrated being six years old and two years where we are. We were all tired but you could see/hear the enthusiasm even in the hoarse voices of folks giving tours. The longer those of us that have been members, even just just 2 years, think of 2014 verses now. (I’m a noob at just 3 years), Wow! If you are from Ladybird or beyond …Super Wow.

Also, many thanks to all that helped or dragooned folks into carpet cleaning, painting walls, getting things ready, flyers, all of it. I only regret I missed the first batch of ice scream Ken made.

2 Likes

That looks like an interesting restaurant. What is it?

Papa’s brothers bbq off 35& northwest highway.

2 Likes

I think next time we need to screen some additional T-shirts … my husband thinks he has earned one that says Makerspace Widow(er).

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

One would hope that the longer-term net membership gain is appreciably higher than 10; I believe we’ve had Thursday nights with similar membership bumps.

1 Like

Open house is more than just gaining membership. I think it is more about seeing the interesting projects everyone had worked on the last year. Also about reconnecting and getting re-inspired.

Can’t help when you have good dinner company.

2 Likes

I was over with screen printing - heard a bang followed by cheers. Honestly, one of my favorite “maker moments” ever - just goes to prove how absolutely amazing this place is. I, for one, vote we shellac that ceiling tile and hang it on a wall for its historical context.

Great job everyone. I appreciate the love @Nick but this was the efforts of a huge dream team. I just have the credit card.

4 Likes

It could have the video coverage of the event - allowing history to be relived!

The cheers just show success is measured in different ways at the Space.

1 Like

I agree with @MellissaRhodes,

Our community building is our super power here. I gave a tour to a couple that works at the Austin Tech Shop. They walked through our space with giant googly eyes staring at all we had to offer and just couldn’t believe it. We offer much more than they do at a price point they couldn’t even come close to matching. I know this, because they tried it and told me how it was a failure. They were most impressed that our community is so inviting. They seemed dumb founded at times when I explained how we got the tools we offer, how we keep them running and how the thanks goes to all the members that chip in all the time.

I also had the honor to give a tour to a family with an autistic daughter that is excited to join our community for the opportunity to allow their daughter a safer environment to spread her wings, and of course her dad is excited to use the tools.

We are an awesome group and the pay off of our labors will show in the very near future. I know of at least another 10 people I gave tours to that I expect to see at the space in the coming weeks.

4 Likes