DMS is NOT your Hazmat Dumping Ground

Here’s the sign

What part of line 1 did you not understand? Come back and pick it up and take it home. You are on camera.

Part 2
DMS is not here to recycle your dead batteries.

Taking care of your hazmat materials is NOT a membership benny. Just might earn you a long time out - as in really long.

9 Likes

Most people want to do the right thing and I suspect whoever left these items had good intentions. If I were to make an error, an explanation of the rule and why it’s a rule, would further my knowledge and give me the tools to help out others who I see making the same mistake.

Also, the list in the photo of forbidden items doesn’t match the official list, which IMO is the bigger problem. This seems to be a recurring theme at DMS. DMS does not have a good system for updating and communicating rules. The rules taught in classes don’t always match the rules on “source”, which don’t always match the rules on signage, which don’t always match the rules in the wiki, which don’t always match the word-of-mouth rules that you’d only know if you attended a specific committee meeting on a specific day.
Member Exchange Shelf - Logistics - DMS Source

edit: Source was updated after my post to match the information on the sign.

3 Likes

You’re welcome to Your opinion…

Art is still CORRECT.

3 Likes

I sure wish I could get a satisfactory explanation of every rule. But since DMS is a volunteer organization thats always strapped for volunteer time I realize that’s unreasonable because I’ve been one of those volunteers.

There’s no conflict of significance in this case, so not sure what the quibble is.

2 Likes

It’s a volunteer run organization which allows us to put as much money as possible back into tools and education. It’s not going to be perfect as a result but also people are typically given the opportunity to fix the problem or stop violating the rules before they are banned. Help with documentation and signage is always appreciated. :smiley:

A HUGE thank you to @ozindfw for updating Source!

3 Likes

People will “get away” with what you let them. Go to the cameras and find out who is leaving this stuff, at the very least inform them of the errors of there ways and return the hazardous material. And maybe issue a short time out.

Signs: Despite the fact that we all signed a document on our first visit to DMS that we will read and follow all signage - some don’t. I think the logic is that if I don’t read the sign, I can claim ignorance. And ignorance is seems to be an acceptable excuse at DMS. Until we hold people accountable for what is on signage - people will continue to not follow the rules pointed out on the signs.

TALK is not enough to educate members. What percentage of DMSers read TALK regularly (10%, 20% 30%…???) How to reach the other 90% ,80% 70% …?? Ideas?

1 Like

Just to put a little bit of clarity to it. The rules on source are not necessarily all of the “rules”. Source is still in its infancy, things haven’t been quite migrated over quite yet fully. The Wiki is probably a better “base” of the rules with source building atop of that. Does it need to be updated, absolutely.

The difficulty becomes in as others stated “putting in the work to migrate over fully” We are needing help. The current volunteers are few and far between, thus is why we need help. As cliche as it sounds “It takes a Village to raise a child”. The child is DMS, the village is the members of DMS. I urge anyone who is not volunteering to do so, it does make the experience better for everyone at the space.

If you are unsure of what you can do to help, don’t be afraid to ask. Every committee can use the help.
Logistics/operations and Infrastructure probably need the most help. They have thankless jobs that are easily taken for granted. They are the backbone of this organization to where if they are not there, we as an organization don’t exist.

6 Likes

This is all true as far as it goes, and it’s a beef of mine, HOWEVER there is no question that the TV set is not allowed, no matter which source of truth you select. You can “barracks lawyer” the batteries because they are not on the list on the sign, but IMNSHO that’s not particularly reasonable.

I’m generally of the mind to attribute undesirable actions to ignorance or stupidity rather than malice, but there still need to be consequences for actions. The consequences should probably start minor in most cases as escalate, but there are things at DMS that are unforgiving, and the enforcement of rules is similarly unforgiving.

In this case anonymous public shaming seems pretty benign.

What part of line 1 did you not understand?

Many folks do not know the difference between a CRT and LCD television/monitor, especially those who don’t spend time in the tech world.

A more constructive approach may be to improve the communication of this distinction. Perhaps a simple sign with pictures, or a kind conversation with the individual?

3 Likes

As co-COO, I approve your putting up a sign with a picture of a CRT if you think that would be helpful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll get on Wikipedia and start finding pictures of CRTs :grin:

1 Like

I’m not sure if it will be of much help. If you don’t know what an LCD or CRT is, the instruction defaults to “monitors or televisions.” Either they didn’t read or didn’t care. Either way additional information would not help.

As I said earlier in this thread,

In this case I’ll assume ignorance (as in didn’t read) until malice is indicated.

Not buying it. Lame excuse. If you want to defend the guilty, you’ll need something better.

Yeah…maybe. Observation shows that if some agenda such as recycling, saving mommy earth, climate racket, and so on require some level of effort / expense, many won’t bother. The term hypocrisy comes to mind.

Something else to consider is that the City of Carrollton views DMS as a corporate business and will apply local EPA rules, regs, fines, etc accordingly. There is some history here. You as an individual have more options on how to take care of YOUR hazmat crap than DMS does.

My vote goes towards general laziness.
If I can make my problem someone else’s problem…

3 Likes

If you find yourself schlepping a CRT to the shelf, you proooooobably know the difference between it (lift with your legs, not your back) and a LCD (casual handling up to ~42" class).

And by the time this distinction is lost on those that haven’t been exposed to one (connected to a wood-grain Atari 2600 in gramps’ basement that reeks of tobacco, sporting an impressive collection of cassingles) they’re not going to be something that much shows up on the 'shelf.

1 Like

Use Art’s photo from the OP. I’m sure he won’t mind…

1 Like