DMS Inaugural Makerkhana

Calling all gearheads, automotive makers and modders and the kart curious to join in for DMS’s first Motorsports and Automotive themed open house, Makerkhana!

The event itself will take place on a to-be-determined Saturday evening in July and consist of open tours, a cookout, a car show, and a parking lot drift kart exhibition.

We need volunteers to get involved early because the board has graciously agreed for DMS to sponsor 3 teams to design and build drift karts for exhibition and competition at the event.

What’s a drift kart? It’s a small (3’x3’x4’), relatively low-speed (mechanically or otherwise limited to 20mph) mechanical conveyance that can be piloted with the rear wheels sliding around a small, coned course. Other than that, it’s open to your imagination. Think Razer Krazy Karts, or Colin Furze’s drift trike, or whatever else you can come up with.

Interested in designing, fabricating, or piloting one of these bad boys? Come to the Motorsports meeting tomorrow, May 18th at 7pm to learn more, pitch your ideas, recruit your teammates and start forming a battle plan.

Worried that you don’t know what you’re doing, you’ve never talked to us before, you’re new to the space and you don’t know how anything works? Don’t be! Come down and say hi! I also don’t know what I’m doing and everyone is still nice to me.

We’ve also lined up a crew of expert volunteers to help even the most novice team execute. We’ve got solidworks and machining experts @paulcihak. We’ve got welders @cooper_cihak. We’ve got metal fabricators @Mrholthaus. We’ve got electrical engineers @michaelb and we’ve got folks who know how to get in way over their heads @MBertrand98.

14 Likes

As a tie-in event, who’s up for a little friendly sim racing competition? In honor of drifting’s Japanese roots, I’ve downloaded the Gunma Cycle Center Gunsai Togue course in Assetto Corsa onto the sim rig. This is the track from Japan’s version of Top Gear, Hot Version. Here’s a clip:

Grab a JDM vehicle of your choice and set your fastest time around the short course (if it takes more than a minute you’re on the wrong course). Write your name, the time, and the car on the whiteboard. The fastest time will be announced at Makerkhana and the holder will win eternal glory… and a DMS motorsports tee shirt.

4 Likes

Ack! I wasn’t joined up in time. Is it too late to get involved? I’m away parts of July, but if the stars align I’m all in. (yeah yeah, I’m moving house and spending weeks travelling, but the other part of me is all in)

1 Like

Yeah, absolutely, still plenty of time to get involved. We’ll be working on these at the Thursday night motorsports meetings, stop by and say hi. I can also run you through lift training there as well, assuming the bay door gets its parts this week.

We typically coordinate via discord: Discord

3 Likes

Makerkhana will be held Saturday August 26th at 7 PM. Come try our drift trike it will probably be working. There will be grilling. There will be cones.

If you have a cool car, like a turbo PT Cruiser, or a dang ole Camaro, or an Opel GT, or a purple kia soul, or a kei truck etc etc. Bring it down and park in a place of honor.

For everyone else, we’re going to be coning off the back parking lot from ramp to ramp, so, don’t park there on Saturday. We have jacks and we have dollies…

6 Likes

Epic Build Log:

4 Likes

It’s happening.

Please don’t park in this area tomorrow:

3 Likes