DMS Hammer Crimper

Does anyone know if we have a hammer crimper? I figured automotive was the best category since it would likely be used for battery cables.

I need to run new cables for my Excursion at some point for my batteries.

Don’t think auto has one

I have one, that I will lend you Tim.

When will you be at th espace next?

3 Likes

It will be a little bit before I need it. Next 4-5 days are going to be busy for me. Just trying to get a feel of if I needed to buy one or not

I’m getting ready to use a hammer crimper for battery cables as well. I’d much rather use a nice hand-held hydraulic unit with hexagonal dies, but they’re pricey. I’ve checked out the HF/Chinese ones but the dies are horrible, so my game plan is to just use the hammer crimper in the arbor press.

A legit crimper might be worth putting on the purchase list seeing as high-quality, custom cables are needed across the automotive world… stereos, race cars, off-road rigs, replacement factory cables.

These can be used by both auto and welding for cables. Might be worth getting one for the Space.

A bench type hydraulic powered unit would be nice for swaging many types of hoses, tubing, cables etc but probably not feasible for the DMS, but handheld for wiring would be a nice start.

Tim,
I’ll bring mine by next week if you want to “try it” - I’ve yet to use it.
One of these “days” I want to run cables to the rear of my truck -battery box on the trailer for winching operations. Too many “other” priorities in front of that project…

This one “looks” better than the yellow turds also found on amazon. Who knows maybe it is made in a “better” Chinese plant. Note that the description says “American name or brand” but does not say where it is made…

https://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-6ga-750mcm-HYDRAULIC-CRIMPER-TH0034/dp/B00TR65VE8/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1487818125&sr=8-22&keywords=hydraulic+battery+cable+crimper

3 Likes

A TEMCo crimper would be a great addition to the 'space. Eventually someone is going to want to use dozens of batteries for an electric car or robot or something and a nice crimper will pay for itself many times over. haha

Their $100 hydraulic crimper is also a nice setup (TH0005) and might be the better purchase as we’re not installing transformers and such with massive 750 MCM wire. It has slightly narrower dies but still produces the same style hexagonal compression crimp.

So what needs to happen for one of these bad boys to get purchased in the very near future?

https://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-Hydraulic-Cable-Crimper-TH0005/dp/B00HJXG3KM

And the company pages for both crimpers:

Thanks for the link, I just ordered the TH0005 for DMS, should be at DMS by March 4th

8 Likes

Now available for all your crimping needs

9 Likes

I’ll take her for a test drive this weekend! Thanks for getting it in so quickly!

1 Like

The new cable crimper works beautifully. :sunglasses:

Proper usage note, PLEASE READ: 11 tons is absolutely enough force to properly crimp copper cables. So, once the die faces contact each other, DO NOT continue pumping the handle… This is how you destroy seals. Thanks!

7 Likes

This would be great for my project. I went to the space yesterday but didn’t see anything in auto or electrical. Where is this crimper usually kept? Maybe I just overlooked it?

Did you go through the various tool-specific plastic storage cases on the automotive shelves?

This box contains…

… Said hammer crimper.

2 Likes

We found it Sunday, thanks!

1 Like

Sorry, I should have responded back. Yes Luke helped me find it Sunday. I must say it is AWESOME! :heart_eyes: