DMS Firearms Community

Been a DMS member for 6 yrs. Just discovered Hatchers Armory this very hour. Better late than never.
Old enough to have particpated in gun club DCM shoots with Garands and trapdoor 45/70s.
Interests include reloading, bench and longer range rifle.
Any suggestions for range with longer than 100 yd backstops?
Thanks
John Reid

Magnum Sport center outside of Sanger is 200 yard. Can’t speak for other ranges. They are not a big time range, it’s like a family who owns the range. I haven’t been in years, so I can’t attest to what it’s like now. It’s outside, pay at the office, then drive down to the rifle range not too far from the office.

Hatchers at DMS is, of course, non-functional. No firearms or reloading at DMS currently. No carrying at DMS either. Very limited gun oriented activities.

Many thanks for the rapid response.
Spoke with Magnum Sports Center just now.
I plan on being there tomorrow. Would not have known about them without you.
Thanjs again

1 Like

From looking a pre covid posts Hatcher Armory had a vibrant community here at DMS.
TBJK? just got me connected at Magnum Sports Center in Sanger. Headed there tomorrow

Yeah, I talked a friend into joining DMS solely based on Hatchers. We both did some reloading there and had a great discussion group. We build out Hatchers in part with some wood I donated and it was a very cool thing to be a part of.

I was sorry to see it go. I learned a lot there.

We still have the folks, but the Carrollton Fire Marshall was having conniption fits about the various activities that Hatcher was promoting/doing.

1 Like

Has this formally changed? Last I saw, open carry was discouraged, along the lines of don’t make us make a rule. But I was not aware of any other restrictions.

1 Like

Same. I’ve not seen 30.05/30.06/30.07 signage nor do the rules prohibit mere peaceable carry.

2 Likes

One more agreement on the that there is no formal ban on handgun carry at the space. While not doing it regularly, I have open carried at least 3 times in the past year at the space.

2 Likes

Can you please cite this. The last I recall was a stated preference for concealed carry from when I was on the board. As far as I know this hasn’t changed since.

Spent much of last Saturday at Magnum Sports Center. More than meets the need.
Headed back tomorrow. Very much appreciate your heads up

I cannot. I just remember a bunch of talk about it and I thought the conclusion was that no one should bring a gun to DMS.

There was a lot of concern when I invited some black powder folks to come to DMS to show how old black powder guns could be remade into a peace pipe tomahawk. I finally got BOD permission to have them teach the class in the blacksmithing shop. No black powder or other gun ammo was included and no parts were made, only instruction using existing parts brought in by the instructor.

As far as I’m concerned, you can conceal carry as long as you obey the law.

There is a student in my blacksmithing class, a retired police officer, who carries one to every class.

This is exactly what I remember. The only reason I open carried was at the time I did not have an IWB holster available.