DMS article in Dallas StreetZine magazine

I am writing a monthly column for the Dallas homeless paper StreetZine called The Urban Housewife. February will be Dallas transportation, March will be farming at Deep Ellum Urban Garden and shopping the Farmers Market, but I’d like to make April about DMS and my new membership here.

Would anyone like to be featured? Have a project featured? I’m comfortable enough in what I do that I can structure the article without violating any one person’s or the DMS code of privacy. I’m also more than willing to work in an angle the group thinks might be beneficial.

My deadline for this one will be March 10. (Planning ahead is good, don’t you think?)

3 Likes

I’ll bite. What is “the Dallas homeless paper streetzine the urban housewife” limited googling returned no results

You got me curious, this is what I found: FB Streetzine and Webpage

My article is new starting February. StreetZine has been around for years. They are branching out beyond issues of the inner city and into a street publication that can draw a readership. My column is a start in that direction.

Here’s more about them in the website you found. As you see, the vendors buy the papers for 25cents and then resell them instead of panhandling. They are prevalent in the Main Street district where I live. The buyers are usually folks who work downtown.

Yes, they keep a FB page that runs articles about solutions.

I’ve written for about a decade now. I’m looking forward to this (unpaid) gig because it moves me beyond the politics I’ve followed for years and allows me to highlight other things that make the world go round. (Like food, beer, and making. :slight_smile: )

1 Like