DIY Annual Auto Winterization/Lubrication

I use FamilyHandyman guides quite a bit. Here is the one I follow every year for getting my car ready for freezing temps as well as for basic/annual lubrication tasks…hopefully others find it helpful:

I use windshield cleaner w/Rain-X to clean off over-spray, and then clean/coat windows as well. (many thanks to whomever left their extra on the Automotive Committee shelf!)

The “Know Your Lubricants” section toward the bottom of the page is particularly useful for understanding all the bazillion entries in the market.

The only thing I add to this routine is touching up my serpentine belt with some belt conditioner/dressing and top-off my windshield wiper fluid reservoir with some non-freezing stuff. (although the jury still seems to be out on the use of these products, per some online research and personal opinions of some trusted auto experts. I guess another one of those things that have pro and con factions, but I’ll be reconsidering the use of this in the future.)

3 Likes

I have personally had more issues when I tried belt dressing, including some rubber peeling off the back of the belts. On the other hand, when all the idlers and accessories are in good shape, I’ve repeatedly gotten over a dozen years on belts without ever applying anything to them and only changed them because I was changing something else and decided it wasn’t a bad time to do the belt, since it was going to be off anyway.