Digital Media Workstation (Blender)

Howdy!

So I thought it’d be super cool to use blender on the Digital media station since it has 4090 or 4080 gpu.
The list that specifies which programs are on this computer includes Blender however I wasn’t able to locate a installed version of Blender on this computer. Is there any way to fix this?

2 Likes

Ask infrastructure. Or our CTO. Not the community generally please.

@Youngdenzel You absolutely asked the right question in the right place. Asking the community is asking Infra(myself and others) and Jay (our CTO).

I’ll confirm with @jloukus who is the new DM chair but I’m sure he will be fine with it, and I can install blender on all the windows machines in there.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Mark

3 Likes

No issues, of course. I know blender is already on some of those systems, but Im sure they could use an update.

1 Like

The last time I lead a Blender Class in the Pillar Room, all of the machines in there had older versions of Blender installed. It wasn’t much of an issue, since I didn’t cover any of the newer and/or fancier stuff, but if you’re going around checking on Blender Installations around DMS, I figured you’d want to know.

Interesting.

I found that the Pillar computers don’t have Blender installed but does have Solidworks installed.

I’ve only noticed that 2 computers in the digital media room don’t have Blender installed. I didn’t check the others.

I have yet to find a computer that does have blender installed however I’m not intentionally checking since I’d likely not use blender on anything without a decent gpu. I feel like the only one s that really should have it installed at the ones in the Digital media room.

Thank you!

If you decide to install them, it might be really cool to check out “Blender launcher” (its basically npm for blender) so anyone can use any version of blender without needing to hard install that version of blender. Sometimes, 3.5 is better for using certain add ons since there’s more support for older versions than 4.0 however 4.0 renders way faster.

Howdy!

Thank you so much.

Is it possible to also install “LM Studio” on the computers in the computer room or Digital media room?

This will allow everyone to use AI locally on their computer for free.

I’d like to teach classes on how to use open source LLMs at the makerspace.

LLMs can be used to guide anyone through using or learning any program on the computer as well as help people at the makerspace brainstorm their ideas, projects and engineering.