Difference in plasma tips

What is the purpose or type of plasma tip that has the spring on it?

1 Like

They’re all supposed to have the spring.
The one on the left is B U S T E D.

3 Likes

In the metal shop tool box. There are new plasma tips without the spring. Are those not to be used on this head set up? Also. Do you have any experience with the fine cut set up? I just purchased everything I need and it’s coming in directly from hypertherm.

1 Like

Heaven only knows what you found in the tool box. I think there may be electrodes in there for the Miller, which may not have springs. I cannot recall. But the in photo you included the one on the left is the burnt (incinerated, more like) electrode we keep in the computer-top box for demonstration of B U S T E D stuff one.
While I hardly consider myself an expert in all things Hypertherm, I think any electrode intended to be used with the Duramax Retrofit torch will have the spring.

I have not (knowingly) ever laid eyes on the fine cut setup, but it does not change the electrode; it changes the shield (and the name, into “deflector”), the swirl ring, and the nozzle.

3 Likes

The one on the left is for the older style torch. The fine cut shield isn’t much of a shield either. It more or less just protects the threads. This leaves the nozzle exposed making it easier to damage. I haven’t looked close enough at the swirl rings to notice the difference. Andrew is right, there is no telling what you might find in the toolbox, you might find the holy grail.

4 Likes

Thanks. I ordered the fine cut parts and the 5 pack long life electrode pack which should come in on Friday. I’ll let you know how the “long life” ones perform.

1 Like

On the fine cut, be cautious about the nozzle hitting the steel. This will kill your electrodes & nozzles. I managed to do that while trying to get the height controls working. Still not quite there on that, keeping zero seems to be the issue. I was able to see the height controls work other than that. But the zero was the major issue on why we still can’t use it.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I would be cutting a 4’ by 4’ piece of 1/8 inch 5052 series aluminum. I wonder if that will create any warping.

1 Like

Cut as fast as you can with the minimum required amperage to punch through, starting with the book settings. I’d try a few test cuts first.

You want to minimize heat input to minimize warping.

1 Like

Would alternating cut paths also help mitigate warping or at least allow the piece to heat more evenly? Basically making 4 cuts from cross corners.