Did you throw today? Pls clean your spill

That’s a good point…thanks!

My plan is to get there and throw one piece and do clean up during the class. We shall see how that goes. Or if someone is throwing already I can use their clay and mess up another wheel to use for clean up. Or just use their wheel if they are done :rofl:

These are lessons most people learned before they were ten years old. If someone habitually does this as adult, they aren’t lacking education: they are simply a bad person. They litter, they don’t clean up after themselves, they don’t put their shopping carts back, etc. They are simply bad humans unfit for existence in civilized society.

1 Like

Eh, wouldn’t go that far, it’s not always someone being intentionally problematic. I’m fairly fastidious and have left the Makerspace having forgotten a task I meant to do before I zoomed out. It happens. I’ve also talked to individuals that thought, for whatever reason, there was a studio tech type person that cleaned up. (I dream of such.) Which is why we have forums and cameras and nice reminders. It’s all good.

This isn’t the most glaring example, for sure.

But when this stuff happens it’s not accidental. I’m not perfect at cleaning up, to be sure, and can’t guarantee that every bit of “my” sawdust is cleaned up. But I do clean up more than I left and try to leave things at least a little cleaner than I found them.

1 Like

What about a sign on foam core? You may already have one, I’m just thinking we need more signage showing each committees expectations. This one was a no brainer, but also may be because the person didnt know where to find cleaning tools. Not an excuse, just trying to think of why it might happen.

Stop with more signs.

We got signs, we got training, and we still got messes. Of course, this little spill is not much compared to

So personal contact with a little coaching, then some escalation up to and including public execution.

4 Likes

I’m not talking about signs in place of training. But to require everyone to go to the wiki to determine what is ok in one committee area and not in another is ridiculous.

Actually, I had the conversation some years ago. Whether or not you were trained to clean up after yourself depends on your status (household income), culture, and (in too many cases) gender.

I’m lower-middle class, and you bet my mom taught both me AND my brother to clean the house, and clean up after ourselves. I used to room with a woman who had grown up with a maid. Things that hit the floor were not her problem. I should’ve known – I had visited once when she had out-of-town folks coming. She said she’d cleaned, but there was still a half-inch layer of random stuff and bits on the floor.

And, sometimes parents just don’t have sufficient drive and will-to-fight that will teach children to clean. (We all suffer from those folks’ attitude.)

One can do but try. I’m with @coffeebean – having them demo their ability to clean will reinforce it in their brain that they’re supposed to clean. And, if we get some weenie who doesn’t want to be responsible for themselves, we are better off without them, much as we would like their money.

1 Like

I’m not certain what you mean by this…? Cleaning up after yourself isn’t a thing that varies by committee area.

Should force them into a guillotine-build weekend first, though. We are a Makerspace, after all.

1 Like