Desktop Metal 3D Printing Demo

I received this recently and thought some folks might be interested. It’ll be in Carrollton:

Hello Owen,

See the Studio System from Desktop Metal. Join us in Carrollton on Wednesday, September 20th to see the only office-friendly end-to-end 3D solution for metal printing. This is a complimentary, invite only, Desktop Metal Event from 11:000AM-12:30PM hosted by GoEngineer.

Event:
Desktop Metal’s revolutionary Studio System will be on site along with expert engineers to answer all your questions, including a session on functionality.

Time: 11:00AM-12:30PM
Presentation: 11:00am
Lunch: Noon
Address: 2033 Chenault Drive #142, Carrollton, TX 75006

This is the only end-to-end metal 3D printer solution!

Desktop Metal was founded in 2015 by leaders in advanced manufacturing, materials science, and robotics. The company is addressing the unmet challenges of speed, cost, and quality to make metal 3D printing an essential tool for engineers and manufacturers around the world.

GoEngineer
2033 Chenault Drive, #142, Carrollton, TX 75006

1 Like

So – are you going? It says invite only…

I might if I can make it at lunch that day.

Don’t let the ‘invite only’ sway you if interested. It’s a marketing piece. I think if you are a bipedal and still warm…you are invited!! Lol

I’ll add in the signup link too.

Here is the register page:

2 Likes

I’d have to take a personal day but if someone goes share the details. I’d LOVE to try these and hope desperately it’s not a straw man

what happened? I really would love to have one of these, what is the sticker price? Is something like this attainable at DMS?

It was impressive. A self contained unit that did the printing and then a furnace to get the metal set. It can definitely fit in a place like DMS. The initial unit is for R&D prototyping, then another huge until can be used for mass production.

But the desktop prototyping unit would easily fit in a makerspace, basically letting you print anything in metal in a 13” x 13” with a certain thickness.

Only one really big issue and that’s … $$$$. The desktop metal printer is $60k and the furnace is $60k for a total of $120k minimum.

So, unless someone decides to donate, it’s probably too much for a hobbyists makerspace.

what if DMS sets aside a few thousand/month for a few years to buy it?

If you want to experiment with metal 3D printing, these folks will do it for you.

You can 3D print your own stl files in a variety of metals…if you have the money.

2 Likes

I like that train of thought. But a preferred method would be to get a lease to own contract that way a makerspace could immediately get the machine and start using it.

Yah this definitely the way to go. If you really are looking to prototype some kind of metal 3D print object.