Denton day of the dead coffin race

I stumbled upon the day of the dead race a few years ago on a bike ride to Denton. Was up there Saturday morning and that got me thinking about again. We are too late to enter this year unless there is a cancellation. But I did send in an email to get on the wait list.

So im wondering if anyone else would be interested in forming a team, building a coffin shaped chassis, ideally something we could put different bodies on for similar non coffin themed races. we might not get in this year but would be ready for next year. Would be a great outreach event to setup a Makerspace booth.

Main issue, if we built it, could we store it. Could we get funding, Im guessing this would cost $500-1000

Another idea would be to host our own day of the dead coffin themed power tool drag racing event this fall, challenge there is storing the track. I went to one in San Jose CA and it was a blast.

Please discuss.

6 Likes

What type of track do the power tool races use? I’m picturing something like a pinewood derby track, but maybe scaled up a bit?

I’m in…

After watching some video, I don’t think a common chassis can be all that good at different events. Or at least I’m of the opinion that a good Red Bull soapbox chassis won’t do well here, and a good chassis here might not finish a Red Bull course. Top third Red Bull cars are doing at least 30, and airborne for at least 20 feet after the bottom kicker.

Or maybe there are more events along the lines of this one than I am aware of?

Powertool drag racing track is plywood with 2x4s on each side.

For coffin soap box derby racer I was picturing building an artistic entry that may not necessarily be the fastest entry but would be a blast to build and fun to show off

These aren’t coffin based but I like the style.

Wow I hadn’t paid attention to Red Bull soap box derby with a jump partway through the race, that looks challenging, and fun. Scrap the idea of one fits all chassis. We need a special interest group to build a new vehicle every year or two, with proper T-shirts and posters to promote it. And a peddle powered version we could drive in parades. And why isn’t anyone building artbikes. My mind is spinning with possibilities…

2 Likes

I thought it would be fun to build a giant cigarette for the coffin race, and outfit it with
(a) a sound system that would allow loud coughin’ sounds and
(b) maybe smoke coming out the ash end of the cigarette.

Watching the race a couple of years, my take is that it’s important to have a good steering method so you get all the way to the bottom of the hill vs smashing into hay bales right out of the starting gate, and to have a method for getting it back up the hill without breaking your back. Aka a pulling rope or a pushcart-like handle that can be snapped on at the bottom of the hill before trudging back up.

2 Likes

There once was a man who made dead houses
Stored them under his home with the bugs and mouses
Each coffin was made of rich sleek wood
Built as big and as fast as only he could
Though it might be just rumor the village did talk
Their wagging tongues claiming his caskets were haunted
Or at least they could walk
One lonely night in his basement one started to rock
Toward him it came at a startling pace
He turned white as sheet as the blood left his face
His knees started to buckle and his insides to soften
To the medicine chest he went for some drops
Because as we all know Halls stops the coffin.

5 Likes

Where’s the “Pain” emoji?

2 Likes

last year’s winner for the day of the dead race denton was actually a sometimes makerspace member Gregg, He had an Evel Knievel themed car and costume it ruled.

4 Likes