Delta Table Saw Riving Knife

I was teaching the woodshop basics class yesterday and came upon the Delta table saw with no riving knife. The saws should ALWAYS have the riving knife (except with the dado stack). Another member looked at it after the class and found screws missing… So we figured out what we needed. I went to ACE, got the screws but had other issues to attend to (you guys like honorarium checks right). So if someone could please fix the riving knife for the saw that would be appreciated by all the members.

Screws are in the bag.

3 Likes

Hey Alex,
I removed the riving knife, because it was malfunctioning and making the saw unsafe to use as it was off center and jamming the wood and push block I was using. I meant to send a message that something was wrong with it, but it slipped my mind by the time we were done sawing 341 rocket sticks for PGI. Apologies for not sending the message, but I hope the screws you bought fix the issue of the knife not staying centered / catching and moving when touched.

Thanks for the help!

3 Likes

We’re the screws removed when you used it? It sounds like someone borked it before you removed the knife.

The Delta riving knife has a fancy hidden riving knife lever/handle thing under the front that took me forever to find.

2 Likes

I’m guessing that they were already removed, as I didn’t remove any screws taking if off. In fact, riving knife came out without having to use the lever. I bet those screws are really needed. :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Mathew, new member here. I realize this is an old thread and I’m sure more than a handful of members would know this, but since you posted this, question for you: I was having the same issue and couldn’t locate the riving knife release lever. Can you explain where exactly it is that you found this? Much appreciated.

Centered between the 2 adjustment handles on the front of the saw, but up, just under the table. It’s a black plastic handle that pulls out and is hinged on one side

3 Likes

For the record, if the Riving Knife is not in place, the saw is not safe to use and must be considered offline.

4 Likes

Understood. I was attempting to use the dado set which requires the riving knife to be removed. I would certainly use it on all other blades though. Thank you all.

1 Like

Thank you Bradley! I’m not sure I would’ve ever thought to even look there.

1 Like

As I opened your reply, I thought, “the exception would be”, yeah, that.

Good deal.

For others - as it is cutting a groove with the dado set, and not a thru cut, the wood will not bind on the blade.

2 Likes

FWIW, the riving knife can be set at different heights, one of which is no higher than the blade itself, so cutting rabbets and dados can be cut w/out removing the riving knife.

The only cut I can imagine making which would require the riving knife to be removed (rather than lowered to blade-height) would be a stopped rabbet which did not extend the full width of the wood.

That being said, this would also require lowering the wood onto the spinning blade, which would make me think “isn’t there a better way to design/execute this part?”

The dado set uses 8" blades vs the standard 10" blades.

1 Like

Good choice of words:

execute