Decorative Mulching Options for Base of Tree?

I’d like to put something decorative in the circle area of dirt between the mulch ring and the base of a tree. I realize this is generally verboten, but that stricture is usually for traditional mulches and other ill-considered materials. It seems that something that allows air and water to move freely into the soil without trapping moisture against the trunk/root flare, or that tends to create an environment that might promote other undesirable conditions, should be OK.

I’m just wondering if there is an accepted/acceptable approach. A thin layer of decomposed granite? Same thing, pea gravel? White stone? Large bark chips that will still allow moisture and air to exchange or dry away? What options are there?

1 Like

Pecan shells works great for this. The Dallas Arboretum uses them almost exclusively. I don’t have a source for you - but easy enough to google and likely find in the deep south…

2 Likes

Thanks…I’ll do a little research on it.

1 Like

Empty beer bottles

2 Likes

I have no idea what those are.

1 Like

Seashells, medium to large river pebbles, and I could swear that in one place, I saw somebody use poker chips

1 Like

Vegas?

Also, @jrkriehn’s beer bottle suggestion was a serious one, even though I responded with a quip. There was a guy out on Craig’s list too long ago trying to get rid of all his extra [something] bottles and had pictures of the various creative uses he had for them, including a garden border and a walkway/path. Actually pretty interesting use of…

Make your own beach glass by renting a cement mixer and putting a bunch of different bottles into it and some sand - then let it go for half a day - wa-la - eternal decorative ground covering without chemicals.

2 Likes