Death knell for Fry's?

I went to the Fry’s in Plano on the 18th, not knowing the end was nigh.

It was… pretty empty.

5 Likes

It’s almost funny. They have been trying to go out of business for years now. I knew it wasn’t long when before Christmas, when most retail builds up inventory, they had almost none.

Personally, I will miss them. I often preferred to buy there over Amazon. But, it just seemed to become more and more of a wasted trip, and the prices climbed as they tried to make that extra dollar on everything they had left to sell.

I’m surprised they didn’t go out of business a couple of years ago. But, the official company lines was that they were having problems with a planned change in vendors when actually they were having trouble paying their bills to the point no one would send them product except for the REALLY high mark up items like all of the “Seen on TV” stuff. Anyone for a veg-a-Matic with built in blue tooth?

Anybody remember Incredible Universe?

My oldest son makes me remember it all the time because in 1995 I made him buy his first computer for college at Incredible Universe. Its not the store that makes him remind me, its because back them I made him buy a computer from a “real computer company that is going to go places” - AT&T, when for his major in graphic design he wanted a Mac and I stated “that company will be out of business in a year, two tops”. Now of course, every computer, phone, ipad, watch in this house is an Apple device and most of my retirement investments are in AAPL…go figure, that’s why he reminds me…

1 Like