Death knell for Fry's?

Waiting to see the fallout of this… Supposedly came from an employee and it’s exploding over Reddit and Twitter. Will be interesting to see if it’s real.

1 Like

KRON4 confirmed…

1 Like

Based on what I’ve heard in prior threads and elsewhere the fact they’ve kept the thing staggering along for this long is incredible.

3 Likes

They couldn’t have kept it around for another month & few days? It would have fit the bill better if they went under on 4/1

4 Likes

I received a 401k check from Fry’s, I think in December, and knew exactly what that meant.

($700 after fees for 2ish years working there.)

Frys.com is now a splash page notice if you’re a vendor or customer to pick up your stuff.

I guarantee the old Incredible Universe buildings will be torn down and become high end apartments.

Yep. Like everything else around here… Nowhere to work to afford them, but plenty of bedrooms…

3 Likes

Ha, I drove past the one near MacArthur and 635 yesterday, and thought about going in to see how bad it had gotten. Guess that isn’t an option anymore. LOL

My dad took me to Incredible Universe when they opened. Wow that place was busy as hell. We stood in line around the building. I even remember there being a line upstairs for someone, what I don’t remember.

1 Like

I’m sure California’s moving here can afford them. It sure makes work from home better when the apartments are empty.

But they are not closing, just changing over to a new inventory system.

At least that is what they said for 2+ years.

4 Likes

They will be the next Zombie company brought back to life on the internet like Radio Shack.

1 Like

I dunno man, going to be difficult to replicate the je ne sais quoi of snaking through the long single queue for checkout musing over other customers’ higher-end planned purchases deposited among the impulse buy merch - preemptive buyer’s regret manifesting itself before your eyes.

3 Likes

Candy Bars | Gum | USB Cables | Yamaha Receiver | Canned Air

4 Likes

My guess they’ll be snapped up for e-commerce distribution centers. Seems to be the trend. Most of Fry’s are just off freeways.

I’m fortunate to be less than five miles from MicroCenter. Based on the consistently long checkout lines with four or five registers, it seems they could open more stores in DFW. Maybe they should get the old Fry’s buildings.

The headquarters for MicroCenter is just outside of Columbus, OH. I have visited their Columbus store and it is huge…about 4 times larger than the one in Richardson. They have an entire aisle of “new stuff”. These are items that they are doing market research with, items that are not yet sold in any of the other stores. Stop by if you are ever in that area.

4 Likes

I’ll always look back fondly at Fry’s.

If you have any sense of nostalgia for the store and have 15 minutes to kill, I highly recommend reading the following humorist article about Fry’s from the 90s, “Breakfast at Fry’s”

http://www.gshotts.com/HUMOR/BreakfastAtFrys/breakfas.htm

Always a fun read.

1 Like

Ahhh that’s right! I was trying to remember how I came across that article/page, and I now recall that I think you had posted it on talk a few years ago. Glad you did, I still re-read it every now and then :slight_smile: