Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - March 2018

very clever salvage repair with a great result!

3 Likes

Beautiful, Is the top acrylic? How do you get the man to be a darker orange than the back plate?

It is a bag tag. The blank is fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP), but is also available in aluminum. The blanks are white, and the entire image is printed and heat pressed onto the blank.

1 Like

Terrain WIP for the Frostgrave miniatures tabletop game. The tower is lasercut foam core and posterboard. The board is painted using spray paint and a laser cut flagstone stencil.

17 Likes

Fired Arts did a gold luster firing recently with lovely work from @swathi09. She’s super talented.

20 Likes

Gasp! Wow @swathi09 ! Those are amazing! I wish I could give more than one LIKE.

6 Likes

I second the WOW. Beautiful work. Love the look of the gold trim.

4 Likes

The one heart definitely seemed inadequate. I found myself looking for an emoji button like Facebook. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The Midwest RepRap Festival was coming up, I wanted to debut it. I designed all the parts for the frame using Fusion 360. The frame is 1/2" plywood CNC routed, the EVA is lasercut, and 3D printed mounts and spool holder.

The fanny pack has two 4S 5000mah batteries to power the printer, with a 12v DC regulator, and a 5V regulator to power the Pi Zero W for Octoprint. The spool holder unscrews and uses a lasy susan bearing the spool can also be used as a stand.

MRRF 2018 was amazing and I got to meet some awesome 3D printer YouTubers and everyone loved the backpack printer.

Steve the owner of SeeMeCNC loved it

The CNC routed frame.

14 Likes

Copper mirror frame with brass and tin. And a lot of help from @designcat and Roger. Thank you guys!

11 Likes

Made two pieces at the space this month for my new office. First was a coffee table from a spalted maple slab, and the second is a desk with walnut and a strip of ambrosia maple. Very happy with these two, but I think I am going to build a frame for the desk with a drawer.

15 Likes

Nice job on these, Cutter! Now, think about making your own legs, too (and then teach me!)

4 Likes

Very nice! The butterfly one is a fired decal. I was really glad to see her, she also moved over from CAC In Dallas.

2 Likes

All that banging turned out something bea u ti ful!

2 Likes

Phil and I made a combat robot for the DARC competition on 3/25/2019.

We did not do really well in the contest but we had a bunch of fun and learned a ton for the next go around.

2018-03-08

18 Likes

Earlier this month I had to fabricate a puller to remove a hub. The usual puller I use snapped the bolts. The keyway fell out & the motor hub rotated on the shaft. I was in kind of a hurry to fabricate it, so I have some undercut in one of my welds. I took specs & put them into Fusion 360. Then cut them out of 1/2” plate. I used the porta power to remove the hub off the motor. It took about 8 tons to remove, I have a gauge on the porta power to tell me the force applied.

10 Likes