Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - March 2018

The plans are to turn the cut off pieces of the handles into other stamps

If anyone wants to help let me know We will need to use the flix shaft or
dremel to shape the ends I have some tools to do this, I seem to need to buy some more

before they are re-hardened

Well, I was a little disappointed that you didn’t actually use Geppetto’s toolbench tools to make your mini Pinocchio…

4 Likes

I made this fun little guy to celebrate our national excuse for drinking too much.

Google Photos

photos.app.goo.gl/PfS9UEzsWUekbKww2 (Link since the pic isn’t showing right)

Fun fact, I can’t paint to save my life and am incredibly lazy as well. So I use the cnc to cutout snoopy and then make a set of stencils on thunder that snap perfectly onto him.

Google Photos

Hit with a paint sprayer and a heat gun and I can make two of them in less than two hours.

14 Likes

looks really professional

2 Likes

Not made at the ‘Space, but made using tools that we have at the ‘Space, and techniques that can be easily learned. Dye sub bag tag for a friend’s bowling bag.

10 Likes

This weekend I tried my hand at the variegated soap and I bought some new molds. This is the latest batch. The little soaps contain beeswax, honey, coconut oil, cottenseed oil, soybean oil and cocoa butter. I didn’t add any scent to them and they smell a little like cocoa with honey added. They were molded in a silicone mold, which you can find in the cooking aisle at many stores. These were from Hobby Lobby’s baking tools aisle.

It is the most practical chemistry I’ve done in a while.

17 Likes

great work!!! thanks for sharing

2 Likes

With the tools and items that @John_Marlow makes, it is probably entirely possible to do just that lol

I’m surprised we didn’t get the giant penny in the shot :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you haven’t seen it, check out the separate post from @Raymond and @nickdangerous showing Texas Pinball Festival award winners from Vector.

Congrats on some fine work!

8 Likes

I took a fantastic weaving class a little while back that was taught by Jeannie (@kyrithia), and I

officially started my very first ever weaving project (a scarf) at tonight’s Fiberholic Frolic. :smiley: So far, I’m loving the colors & how the woven pattern is looking. Also, working on fiber projects at the Fiberholic Frolic events is always full of the awesomeness! :smiley: Everyone is always so friendly & very helpful, and it’s a great time to ask your crafting questions & get answers and feedback from the folks who are in the know.

20 Likes

Very, very cool weaving! And yep - @kyrithia is a great instructor.

5 Likes

Thank you so much! She’s amazing & so very patient! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m gonna say I’m tickled with how your scarf is turning out. And credit to you for picking the combination of color changes and pattern to really show it off. Those purple arrow stripes are neat.

And folks, this does NOT look like the first thing someone’s ever woven. Usually they are much more inconsistent.

Some details it might be easy to miss if you don’t weave are how extremely consistent the beat is (each row of pattern is even, not unevenly compressed or loose), no draw-in because the selvedges (edges) are completely vertical (way too easy for things to draw in narrower), and she’s quickly getting the hang of even selvedges (no loopy edges) especially on that one side, and another few inches I bet they’ll be perfect, color changes are nice and clean, and no mistakes so far in a longish pattern repeat (if you look on the fuller pics of the loom, the pattern draft/instructions are the colored graph paper on upper right of the loom’s castle).

She has a good eye for detail and for juggling the several different factors each and every row need. Nice job @JenG!

5 Likes

15 Likes

Awww, shucks :blush: Thanks, Jeannie! :grin:

1 Like

Dogwood, Purple Heart and ebony. The dogwood I turned before I broke my wrist. The rest was turned left handed under Jimmie A’s eye to make sure I did it safely. Got his thumbs up so I’m not letting a broken wrist stop me. :blush:

27 Likes

I love this piece. This is one of my favorite pieces that you’ve turned.

But I have to ask, when you are turning left handed, are you turning one-handed? I need both hands to steady the gouge (or scraper) and I can’t picture how you’re doing that with the busted one …

I hold the handle under my arm for stability and place my tool on the rest with my left hand on top. I got the idea when I saw a gentleman turning who had only one arm. I had Jimmie check me for safety and he gave me the ok. I don’t think I could hollow a bowl without some sort of gizmo and I’ll be keeping turnings small while I’m recovering.

2 Likes

Not turning but throwing clay, Marty Ray at Northlake told us about having a
student that threw with her feet! The owner of the major art clay supplier in FT
Worth for many years had lost an arm in pug mill and he learned to throw one handed
There are also blind potters

As a handicapped artist I am inspired by these folks

2 Likes

I work at Rockler part time. Last week the manager asked if I wanted a bowl blank that had been dropped and was split into two pieces. I thought to myself, surely I could glue it together and make a bowl with it. As many of you know though this is very difficult to do without a crack showing. When I completed the glue up, as expected the cracks were quite visible.

I decided to remove the cracked piece by sawing across the blank at an angle of a bout 40 degrees. I inserted a piece of scrap wood, which I think is some leftover rosewood, into the gap created by removing the cracked wood.

I then glued a walnut bottom onto the blank and turned it on the lathe. I sanded it and finished it with tung oil and below is what it looks like:

Of course, the weekend wouldn’t be complete without another batch of soap. This time the are all yellow and scented like lemons. The formula was derived from using oils that have short shelf lives like walnut and hazelnut. The other oils are coconut, palm, which gives it the yellow color and shea butter.

24 Likes