Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - July 2018

Used the Shapeoko in Creative Arts for the first time to mill this sign from a scrap piece of wood flooring - just over 1/2 inch thick and a hard wood. It ran just fine. Hoping they get a larger one after expansion. The 12" by 12" limit is kind of a bummer. Haven’t cut the tabs to eliminate the outside waste yet.

13 Likes

So from the “Do we have a Stick Welder?” I decided to brush up my stick skills. I haven’t done any stick welding in about 4 or 5 years, Last time was on my trailer D-rings to tie my Jeep down. I was at Air Gas this afternoon getting 45% silver solder & figured what the hell. So I bought myself 7018 & 6010. I didn’t run any of the 6010 though. Overall I’m pretty happy with it. No fancy vertical uphill, overhead or down hill but for me I did alright. I would have done more but I felt I needed thicker scrap to practice.

11 Likes

Dichroic glass and fused glass on a redheart stand.

22 Likes

It had been a LONG time since I took Laser Basics so I came up last night for the class and stuck around to cut some simple lenses.

These are red transparent ones used for covering LEDs and are 4" by 1" in size.

They were replacements for this computer, an Intel SDK-86 single board computer from the late 70s to early 80s.

Here’s a pic of the whole thing with the filter in place. The -86 is for the 8086 CPU and 1.1 is the version of the code in the Monitor ROMs. It’s the power up message.

11 Likes

I finally finished glazing my dragon ink pot. I am really happy with the glaze which was hard to photograph. I also learned how to fix cracks.

dragon pattern

17 Likes

Drool, and all that jazz.

3 Likes

The safety razor and shave brush classs from Friday night. Some excellent finished pieces.

16 Likes

Dana and his maple leaf from the form folding class held by @Cairenn_Day

9 Likes

This is a (nearly complete) mockup of a P-51 Mustang instrument panel I have been working on for some time. It is designed specifically for mounting on a gimbaled cockpit set for use in a book trailer.

Features

• The 3 gyros are real, pneumatic gyros that reflect actual changes in the panel’s orientation
  • 3 of the other instruments are also real
  • 3 instruments are static mockups
  • The 6 remaining instruments are mockups that can be animated via a companion iPad app

DMS areas used

• 3D Fab (FDM and SLA)
  • Electronics
  • Laser (Thunder and Zing)
  • Creative Arts
  • Metal Shop
  • Machine Shop

Pictures

Low-resolution animation:

Higher-resolution still:

13 Likes

@mreynolds printed this for me on the resin printer a few weeks ago and I got her painted on Sunday in CA.

16 Likes

Is it my computer or is most of the leaf missing in the view

1 Like

Click the image for the full view.

4 Likes

Thanks that worked hoairy9w8yhfoanld

1 Like

Hey Guys,

This is Griff, I just started last thursday and Finished my first Maker space Project. Thanks to everyone who helped me get started and made me feel welcome! For my first project I made a Sign for a local business to put outside their New Building! I laser cut the letters and attached them to pieces of fencing held in the back with wood glue and screws from reverse.

I was looking for a weathered yet still clean and Logo-ish look. Let me know what you think!

Click bellow to see more of the process and steps along with more in my Digital Fabrication Portfolio!
Portfolio - Large TexInspec Sign

17 Likes

That looks awesome!!

Am I uploading my pics incorrectly, I’ve noticed that most of mine have that issue

Finished 2 alcohol ink paintings. 26" x 20" on Yupo. I plan on mounting to wood and add a layer of resin once it cools down a little.

28 Likes

Those are really awesome!

1 Like

Made a copper leaf pendant with the much needed help of @Cairenn_Day and @AnneGullett.

Jewelry and Small Metals
Foldforming class on 7/23

22 Likes

Those are fantastic Tiffany!