Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - July 2018

That is very nice, I definitely need to take that class now.

2 Likes

I will have a different fold formed class up later in AugWe will be doing a little of this
in the Sat class Partyware to Partywear

2 Likes

This seem to have some potential. This is supposed to be a face in water. Or maybe a water Nymph.

Is it too complicated, Maybe more shadows? Maybe less particulates in the clear resin?

11 Likes

Sweet! What are you using for the color?

I ended up cracking that second piece I was working on, trying to do two folds was a bad idea

Did you anneal it again?

Yeah I annealed it and did so multiple other times

It happens I will be out most of the afternoon tomorrow
Come by and get some more copper to play with

I used polymer clay Red, Green, Blue, and translucent.

3 Likes

So I had to make a wrench to take my sons wheel off his Hoffman bike. A standard end wrench is too wide. I made it out of scrap from someone’s welding.

13 Likes

You must have really been in a hurry … that gap in the radius of the wrench, never would have guessed you made it. Although to be fair, matching a larger radius than the slot is tricky. Of course it could be a feature … non-interference clearance fit!

Yeah I was kinda in a hurry. Didn’t want to throw it on a rotary table to get that radius on the back. So I kinda eyeballed it.

1 Like

@JasonM314 and I tested out a new ceramics and laser decorative process Jason found. Basically, you take a glazed fired piece, spread a thin even layer of a metal oxide + alcohol mix on it, then use the laser to fuse the metal oxide to the glaze. After the firing, the leftover oxide gets brushed off and reused. For our test run we used 6x6ish tiles Jason glazed a basic gloss white. We experimented with a few different metal oxides using a variety of application techniques as well as different images to see what we could do. We are still working out specifics and have more testing to do. All laser work was done using the Zing.

First piece after being fired but before brushing off the nickle oxide:

We then switched to Iron Oxide and a much more complicated piece to see how fine we could go:

Another iron oxide sample

Layer thickness matters. It can’t be too thin or too thick. We also found that cracks and wrinkles translate through to the piece as those result in areas with either too much or too little oxide.

Our final experiment was this morning with a commercial container of Mayco Cobalt Wash (goes on purple, fire to blue). Drying takes longer than the alcohol + oxide mix, but the convenience of a ready made brushable oxide is exciting. Application thickness and evenness still needs to be worked out.

29 Likes

Very cool! …

That is downright wicked cool!

1 Like

I Love it I love the DMS allows us to try techniwuee out
that would not be possible most place

That is very interesting. Thanks for sharing the details of your experiments.

Thickness of application is everything to this process, apparently. We’re going to try airbrushing next (multiple coats) to see if that allows us to get a uniformly thick coat all the way across the surface. Then, of course, we need to determine how many coats is the right amount.

That, and we need to figure out the power and speed settings on the thunder machines. That could really speed the process up considerably (plus, it will open up the possibility of using the rotary attachment).

Quite exciting!

First I need to glaze a whole new stack of test tiles.

1 Like

Holy ceramics batman, that’s going to rock worlds.

I made a couple of rings for friends this weekend.

14 Likes