Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - February 2019

First project on the MultiCAM, a small bench for storing shoes by the front door. It’s all ~3/4" Baltic Birch which made for a really sturdy bench. The joints are all done with tabs and 1/2"-13 bolts with square nuts. I trimmed up the corners with a 1/8" bit in the Multicam to try and hide the dogbone-like shapes required. Other than some quick sanding the whole thing came off the router and bolted together, which was really the goal of it all.

17 Likes

Embroidered pillow case. Definitely the longest emboirdery I’ve done and I learned a few things I the process.

19 Likes

Photos show a DC motor/generator made for an educational lab instrument. One photo shows it motoring on 2.4 volts. Made full of student adjusts: The magnet plates can be loaded with various size and strength magnets and the plates can have their distance from the rotor adjusted by screws while the motor/generator is running. Also, a tiny allen wrench inserted through holes in the plates of the rotor (while stationary) is all it takes to change from 480 coils in series to 4 groups of 120 coils in parallel or 2 groups of 240 in parallel or even isolate out 1,2, or 3 groups from the circuit. Other screws allow adjusting the relative angle of the commutator brushes and even the “dwell” angle of conduction versus insulator of the commutator while the motor is running.

It is a new design for as many student adjustments as I could readily come up with.
I built it using the maker space Bridgeport mill, Clausing lathe and the Sherline mini mill and lathe. The Sherline mini mill and lathe were very useful in making the numerous small parts. There are over 60 parts on and in the rotor alone, mostly brass interconnect. The base is of a 5"x5" x1" block of aluminum milled with internal channels for wiring. The linear bearings run on SS rods, the magnets are neodymium and the insulator patches on the commutators are scotch tape(works great, cheap and easy) , but the rest of the device is made of Acrylic, Delrin and Brass.This motor/generator is made to work with a larger machine that is used to explore physical and thermodynamic energy principles and thus far has an air pressure motor attachment but should one day have a mini steam engine and refrigeration unit attachments available.

26 Likes

That’s super cool

Indeed!

Bob’s amazing. People don’t know it (no reason they would) but Bob became a member somewhere around two years ago (correct me on dates if you feel like it, @BobKarnaugh) and had little to no machining skills at the time. Since then he has become highly proficient, as is obviouls from above, and is also a primary contributor to Machine Shop area and Committee via teaching classes, maintenance, and general mentoring.

If Bob told me he had built a perpetual motion machine, honestly, I’d think I’d believe him!

3 Likes

For those that have not seen this in person, it is a work of art. Watching it increasingly evolve into an ever more and more complex device with ever increasing refinement and precision in manufacturer has been a joy to behold.

Bob had never used machine shop tools to prior to joining DMS. What an inspiration!!

3 Likes

@BobKarnaugh also has impeccable technical drawing skills, and I’m talking about by hand!

4 Likes

You are not kidding. It looks so good that they could have been done in CAD

2 Likes

With all the automated CAD and CNC tools available here at DMS, you have to realize that this project used none of them. All of the machining was done on the manual machine tools at DMS. Most of the work was done on the small Sherline Mill and Lathe in the DMS Machine Shop. These Sherline tools are not toys, but precision machining tools. This project is proof of that. A true machinist must understand the core principals of machining, materials, tooling, setup, research, and also to understand the limits of each operation to perform at this level of expertise. Great job!

2 Likes

Fun with 3D printing,Arduino, and programmable LEDs. Destined to become wall art with a wi-fi interface for changing modes.

16 Likes

That’s cool Mike. Looks like a homebrew “nanoleaf”.

1 Like

Yep. Not so much “homebrew” as “downloaded from Thingiverse,” though.

I made a couple of changes: I customized one of the parts to integrate a bracket to hold the CPU, and I put a NodeMCU V3 with Wi-Fi capability in as the brains in lieu of the original Arduino Nano.

3 Likes

Automotive and Metal collaborated on making a Water Buffalo.
It’s for moving clean water around the workshop. The pump has enough pressure to actually spray something down through 20’ of hose, and enough battery to move 200 gallons through before it needs to be worried about.
In the long term something similar will be done for moving dirty water out.

It’s going to live in the Metal shop, and will be for clean water only. It’s still needing some more work, and later a fire engine red powder coat, but it’s functional.

Cheers,
~H

23 Likes

Just saw this and it was really cool.
HEY! now we have a way to wash all the paint stains in the back parking lot!
Great job.

3 Likes

I finished up a project I made during wire knitting class [to which I added freshwater pearls] by adding a hand-made clasp and attaching the dragon fly.

I also combined my historical ring making class with my chain maille class to make my new favorite ring, I peacock that wiggles its tail feathers! <3

19 Likes

That is super cool, is it something you would be able to teach as a class?

1 Like

I took @Edenblue’s resin coaster class a week ago. A fun way to dip your toe I to the resin waters!

19 Likes

I like the globe flower thing.

I started accumulating parts for a 3d Printer in early 2017, a Mendel 90. I cut the wooden parts in the DMS wood shop and printed some of the plastic parts on the Polyprinters. And had several questions answered here on Talk. After a couple of mis-starts, it came to life. I made a calibration cube!

Edit to add link to GIF of it in action: https://i.imgur.com/RyZECMc.gifv

Also added: Some specs - it’s the Sturdy variant with 10mm smooth rods. X=300, Y=200, Z=300 (more like 290). Used leadscrews instead of allthread, and Nophead’s direct-drive extruder.

17 Likes

My two stroke street bike’s new expansion chambers. The bottom one’s just been through the vapor blaster in the smithin’ room.

11 Likes