Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - February 2019

Nice! I’ve been seeing what that vapor hone can do, it’s great for small stuff.

2 Likes

This is the first test of an idea I’ve had since my son fenced competitively years ago. The trophies were always terrible, I was sure I could do better.

This is a glass foil bell guard that I fused and drilled on the drill press. Next step is to turn a handle on the lathe and then I’ll be making a glass pommel using the flameworking tools.

21 Likes

oooo NICE!!
Just a heads up James. I saw Scott working on an amazing knife handle from resin with a pines cone inside. The Pine cone made an amazing pattern. made me want to get some pine cones!

1 Like

Oh is he finally working on those? looking forward to seeing those finished up.

id give that a shot if we had a high pressure nozzle. it will help clean screens for screen printing too

1 Like

We wouldn’t even need a pump to do it. Pressure washer would be able to pull from that. Just an electric pressure washer.

2 Likes

Thank you for hosting the Fiberholic Fiberfrolic get together. New to knitting, but thanks to the assistance from the group on how to read the instructions was able to make a fancy turtleneck sweater for our little terrier.

18 Likes

That is amazing!!! And adorable. :heart:

2 Likes

Cute dog! We have a “pets of DMS” thread: (Pet) Faces of DMS - levity and hilarity welcome …show us more :dog:

It’s like his eyes are following me around the room :eyes: . But that may just be because I am wearing Milk-Bone® underwear.

1 Like

Friday I taught my first Acylic Painting for Beginners class. These alpha class students stuck with me and we came out with some nice looking dragonflies!

22 Likes

kind of like… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5ae8_gdvr0

8 Likes

Big ole walnut live edge dining room table. This is 2 bookmatched slabs and a 3rd slab in the middle. Black epoxy to fill all cracks/voids/knots and maple bowties. The base is cast iron from Drake Casting Co. I will get better pictures once they buy the chairs and new lighting for the area. I did the slab flattening at DMS and cut the domino joints at DMS. Did the initial glue up at DMS but had to re-cut one of the joints as it was closer to not quite straight so did the second glue up at home along with all the epoxy sanding, finishing, etc…

25 Likes

First acrylic pen turned tonight

27 Likes

I made this for my parents 50th anniversary. It’s on some black walnut I got online from rockler. I made the C logo in inkscape using a YouTube tutorial on how to make fancy letters. Going directly from .dxf into RD works caused some issue with the simulation in rdworks so went from .dxf to .ai then into .rdl file. Learned that trick from @talkers I believe and it helped here. 12 minutes scan on speed 500 and power 75 on Blitzen really made a crisp cut. Oh yeah I put that white stickypaper on before cutting to minimize smoke and burn marks I also painted the scanned area black before removing the paper. Sanded with 320 before and between 3 coats of oil based wood bowl finish. Unsure yet if this will hang on the wall or be a serving tray with added handles. @Lordrook was awesome holding my hand through this process as well, so thanks for that again.

23 Likes

Turned out nice!

I also apply finish for stuff like this before I laser to help rebuff the unwanted advances of char smoke. It does not need to be a thick coat of finish, or the final coat, but just a few light pre-coats of whatever one is going to use for final finish is helpful

4 Likes

Thanks Marshall, that is a good idea about pre-coating. Thanks for the feedback,and I should have mentioned thanks for the help getting that cut to size the other day as well!

3 Likes

After taking the Multicam cnc wood router class over a year ago, I finally cut my first piece!!!

22 Likes

Another project that even though is small, took forever and a lot of tools in woodshop

20 Likes

I like this idea. A lot.

Consider it stolen.

2 Likes

Huh. I wonder if filling with resin is also a possibility.

Booyah!!! And a mighty fine piece it is!!! Seriously. I want one. (But something appropriate for Spectrum / Frontier might need to be added.)

1 Like