Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - February 2018

Now the only remaining question is: where should I leave these so we’ll be sure they are accessible and retreiveable for the picnic?

@Diplomat @uglyknees Where are you stashing all of these items?

the PR closet is where things are getting hoarded.

2 Likes

FEED ME SEYMOUR.

Fused glass, steel, paduak and snakewood on a wooden base.

17 Likes

can I bring something to the picnic?

Of course. Look at the picnic discussion and at the bottom I’ve listed a link to the page to list what people are bringing.

The room box for Gepetto’s studio is (more or less) finished. It’s a two-walled corner inside of a book. Everything is from scratch except the shutter hardware.

Many thanks to @TLAR for printing and laminating the book cover at his gallery. And @uglyknees gave me good advice on working with Paperclay - this my first attempt at such.

I used the lasers to cut “forms” to shape the bricks and stones and to etch the “grout lines” in the paperclay interior floor. Typically miniaturists score lines with a knife but I wanted them jaggy to resemble real bricks/stones. I also laser cut the leaves for the trees and individually painted, veined and shaped them.

IMG_6826_600px

IMG_6867_400px

After the interior brick sections were dry, I used the laser to cut 1/8" plywood so I didn’t have to apply 1/8" thick plaster around those bricks.

IMG_6848_400px

The clay roof tiles were made from Polymer clay, dusted with pastels, and baked atop a form I made using my micro-lathe (then finished with a little moss and a bird’s nest).

22 Likes

You’ve done lots and lots of amazing things Chris and I think we all know that. This project truly inspires me to make. I’m in love.

3 Likes

Ps when you’re done and the door is all healed (oh a foot pun) you should take yourself to Florence to celebrate.

3 Likes

Once again awed by skill, patience, and creativity. Your creations are truly inspiring.

2 Likes

I wish there was a way to do more than “Like” this. It looks AMAZING, Chris! Great job! I can’t wait to see the completed project.

1 Like

Yes, button you can only use once every 90 or 180 days … Chris would have a good portion of them.

3 Likes

LIke everyone else has said, “I"m in awe”. You should be doing this kind of work for a museum.
It is absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for sharing this with your DMS friends.

3 Likes

Fun with forging: bottle openers and other progress made at last Sunday’s blacksmithing class.

10 Likes