Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - February 2018

This is fantastic. Any chance you might share design so I could cut one for my home workshop?

Pen class tonight. 4 great, happy makers.

Rahul

Dhruv

Trenton

James

9 Likes

I haven’t had a lot of time recently to work on projects but I did manage to finish a game prop with only a day to spare a little while ago. I needed an otherwise innocuous case that opened up to be a portable altar/workstation for a modern day, progressive voodoo practitioner. Big thanks to @mreynolds for the sweet penmanship on my favorite item in the whole case, individually labeled vials of graveyard dirt!

21 Likes

Very cool.

1 Like

I was excited to be a part of a crazy awesome project! Looks amazing

3 Likes

Ok that’s just awesome! All the neat bits. But now we REALLY need more story on this project. Too cool.

6 Likes

That is probably the coolest prop I’ve ever seen. :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

My son used Makerspace tools to design and create his first pinewood derby car. I tried to “guide” a bit of the design by my sons iron-will ruled and I truly was only the cutter and holder as he hammered. 100% his design not a bit of my own messing.
Today, at his banquet, we found out he came in 3rd place - which I honestly consider first because “parent fingerprints” were all over the other cars. Couldn’t be prouder. Look at his lovely grin. Thank you guys for making the pathway for success for so many people and projects.

19 Likes

I love that he did this himself!!! Kudos!

And I got a laugh out of the third picture - the one where he is wearing a helmet and the dust collection tubing is smack dab behind his head. It looks like either he is a spaceman or it is sucking his brains out.

:rofl:

5 Likes

This 1:12 scale carver’s workbench is the companion piece to the shaving horse. Everything is from scratch except the four tiny brads fastening the vise screw garter.

It is constructed from an intentionally diverse selection of woods - mostly el cheapo pen blanks of mystery wood (except for the pieces that were tapped/threaded). It has a combination of mortise & tenon joinery, and way too many individually turned pegs (20 !)

The vise is fully functional. This view of the underside shows the traditional screw and rod mechanism.

BTW, if someone can tell me the proper name for the carving hold-down clamps (hooks), I’d appreciate knowing. (EDIT: Thanks to @photomancer who clarified that this type of bench dog is typically called a “holdfast”). :slight_smile:

15 Likes

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/tools/holdfast/

(Argh! I did not read far enough before posting.)

3 Likes

Had my first try at making printed tshirts using heat transfer vinyl. I used a silhouette cameo to cut the HTV, 2 hours of weeding out the design, and about 30 minutes at the tshirt press . I’m super happy with the way they came out!

17 Likes

Floating T-Shirts! Wingardium Leviosa!!!

Nice Job.

2 Likes

Latest vessel. Steel base (thank you for welding it @EthanWestern) redwood burl, tiger wood, curly maple, African blackwood and ebony.

18 Likes

Kris, nice work. I visited @TLAR last weekend and saw some of your work for sale. Beautiful vases.

4 Likes

Thank you @coloneldan!

1 Like

Finished and delivered a monster cutting board today. Walnut and maple end grain, 17" x 23" x 2", laser engraved Chef’s name as a little surprise for him. This was made for my buddy who is the executive chef at Braindead Brewing in Deep Ellum, check them out for some great beer and even better beer.

18 Likes

Very cool. Customized hand made gifts are always cherished and appreciated.

3 Likes

I made some placards for placing on potluck dishes for the DMS picnic (and the monthly potlucks as well). Quick and easy: just two clothespins glued end to end. The cards include some checkboxes for dietary restrictions/preferences.

I made up 35 for the ‘space.

Banana bread for scale.

11 Likes

Outstanding! Thank you for the creative and useful items.

@Diplomat @uglyknees We need to create a folder on committee drive for Picnics, Eatery, and Events. So files can be dropped in there, posters, applications for events, history, etc. for future events. Things like this are really cool, along with posters etc.

1 Like