Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - August 2019

I finally finished weaving this strap on my inkle loom. Decided to turn it into a new lanyard for my Makerspace key, nametag, and favorite loots, lol.

25 Likes

Some pendants I made in the microwave kilns class. Super easy to do!

22 Likes

A bottle stopper I turned in a class. Super fun to do!

23 Likes

Glad you enjoyed it! Love that high shine from the friction polish.

3 Likes

A little more eye candy. Inlayed wood medallion. 24" diameter - Maple, Mesquite, walnut, white oak and Santos Mahogany. This was fun. all done on CNC.

23 Likes

one more 24" medallion. various woods including white oak, hickory Pecan, bloodwood, wenge, walnut, maple and mesquite. The blue star was dyed because there is no natually occurring blue wood in nature although some fungus does stain wood blue.
This was all side grain. If I made it 3/4" thick, the US body would make a great cutting board. cheers!

13 Likes

I made a few of these in the machine shop using mostly the big lathe. I’m really happy with my first machining effort.

13 Likes

holy shit dude

2 Likes

Cosplay for Leaky Con.

15 Likes

I’ve been stabbing away with sharp pointy objects (needles) on my State Fair entry. When the original challenge was issued, I read through all the categories and concluded I had nothing completed that (a) fit into any of the categories and was (b) new enough to qualify for entry, I knew I had to start from scratch. At the time, I had just gotten home from a dye retreat with friends. One of the items I finished was a waist apron with pockets that was a light blue & green pattern. I thought about embroidering something on the apron to make it more unique. One of the categories in the needlework division was “embroidered household item” - which would ordinarily probably be a pillowcase or a dresser scarf. But I decided an apron fit that bill. If I had it to do over again, I’d probably do the design differently, but for a first time to free-style the stitches as I sent along, it’s okay!

28 Likes

So today I finally got around to putting my ARB locker back together for my Jeep. Some of you may remember I took it apart many months ago. I used the parts washer at the Makerspace to get it cleanish. Then I took it to the Vapor hone to clean all the flash rust & surface rust off. During my inspection months ago I found my thrust washers trashed-ish. I ordered the replacements back in January, turned out some where back ordered. I contacted them in March to find out the status, turned out they no longer made it. Back & forth many times, finally I was able to get the parts I needed ordered last Friday & they showed up Thursday. Before I put all the parts away months ago I coated it with LPS 2. Also I made a press plate to press the bearings on without damaging them on the Colchester Lathe.

22 Likes

now the fun part.

The fun part was torqueing the bolts to 60 ft lbs. I was able to do the first few by holding the carrier/ring gear. My hands decided they did not like that part. Doing the crush sleeve will be interesting, the last one I took over to about 420-430 ft lbs to get the preload right.

My boys will likely be doing most of the work, they want to do it. I’m just trying to find my “want too” to get started today.

1 Like

My pendants from the dichroic microwave kiln class. So fun!

Cindy

17 Likes

Murphy decided to show up today with his whole family

1 Like

I hate setting up ring and pinions so very bad, I know a guy. I don’t like to do that but there is absolutely nothing fun about it. Is the axle still in the vehicle?

That’s a beautiful stamp! I think I’d like to learn how to make one of those. Just the laser? Curious of the classes I’d need to take.

hello. yes, this was done strickly with the laser, cut 1/8" deep.
The basic laser class is all you should need. after that it’s just a matter of finding or creating artwork.

1 Like

Been making dichroic pendants to give away on my vacation.

24 Likes

Those are gorgeous!

1 Like