Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - September 2017

I made a layered topo map a year or so back. Here’s a couple of tricks I figured out.

Print some Guidelines
One trick I figured out was to put all the layers in one file, and color code them. Then, when printing, I would select the lower color N for cutting and the color N+1, above, to be etched into the lower piece. When it came time to assemble the layers, I used the etched lines to get the layer above properly aligned - much easier than eyeballing it.

Save Wood When Cutting
Note you are limited to 7 main colors (plus white for the background) that the laser will recognize. I cycled through those colors and reused them in order. Then, I cut layer N and N+7 from the same piece of plywood. This saved a lot of wood, as the higher contours are relatively sparse. Thus, I was able to cut 12 layers out of 8 pieces of wood (7 colors + the base layer).

Use a Spreadsheet to Save Mistakes
I put together a spreadsheet which told me which color to etch and which to cut for each layer. It’s easy to lose track without memory backup.

Save the Frame for Last
I waited until all the pieces were assembled and finished before I cut a frame to fit. That way, any slight shifting of the layers won’t keep the piece from fitting into the frame.

5 Likes

Hank, wanted to let you know I’ve saved your tips forever via a Pinterest pin. I also have them saved in a pdf which I am sending to the Laser Committee for inclusion on https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Laser_Committee#Tips_and_Tricks. Your hard-won tips can live on to help others.

2 Likes

Worked more on my turners cube. I needed to get it as close to a cube as possible. I’d say I got pretty damn close. It is 1.372 x 1.373 x 1.373. I probably should have used a mic instead of dial caliper to take the readings. This was done all on the Colchester.

12 Likes

Been on bit of a ‘turning’ phase this last month, here are a few of the pens I made.

Mesquite with laser rastered name

Ironwood (might be my favorite now, can’t see the full shimmering beauty in the photo)

and turquoise acrylic

17 Likes

So apparently, after about 8 years of being used in a hot garage workshop, the original glue used to construct the handles of the $100 Ryobi will expand and cause the handles to fail and fall off. (it was quite impressive)

Thankfully someone donated a branch of walnut so, lathe to the rescue!

Fancy walnut handles makes a cheap Ryobi drill press all the more fancy :smiley:

18 Likes

Last, but not least, project for this month was a quick upgrade to our gaming table/dining table.

Two sheets of 24x48x1/2" MDF, some craft-felt (cause i’m cheap) from jo-anns, a little time on the laser and boom. A flippable/foldable covering for the table.

Felt side for board and card games, hard side for D&D.

Boy approved.

15 Likes

Squares!? You’re supposed to use hexes man! :slight_smile: Glorious nonetheless.

1 Like

I’ve been working on building a DC-15S Blaster for a friend. All parts were 3D printed at the space. I’ve got it to the point of just needing to prime and paint it.

Video of the Light here: https://imgur.com/fxWUwVK

15 Likes

WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! Amazing!

I took a pottery class with @cmcooper0 and @Shirley this month or should I say 4 classes over 1 month. This isn’t the first pottery class I take at the space but this is by far the best! We learned how to throw, carve and glaze. Christy and Shirley had a course plan and were thorough in their explanation and willing to share tips… and super patient! I have a lot of work ahead of me but pretty proud of my first 2 little pots :smile:
They made me like pottery again! If you want to learn about pottery, I would recommend their classes.

16 Likes

These are wonderful!

Wow that is beautiful. Any suggestions on how to get started on something like that?

Fall pendants and future gifts.

13 Likes

Love the Texas ones! Love my adopted state.

2 Likes

Thank you!! They are challenging for me to paint but these were worth it. I was pretty pleased that I only messed one up badly enough to have to paint it solid blue.

1 Like

3D printed adjustable iris! Been a very productive month for me

3D printed leather working embossing stamp

Laser cut leather

Turned and laser engraved a Slimline pen

Leather hip pouch I made for a friend

16 Likes

Congratulations to @EthanWestern who finished up his domino project on the HAAS. Ethan is also the first one to do the updated version with the DMS logo on the back.

12 Likes