Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - October 2016

ok, so the last brain model was universally disliked. So I redid it myself rather than rely on an internet model. this is an embossing plate for leather wallet backs.
It certainly has more of that Orsen Wells look we all expect. Cheers! I’m off to…

TAKE OVER THE WORLD

9 Likes

A key strap using artwork I processed in SewArt64 and embroidered on the Babylock.

18 Likes

Oil change and engine install at the same time

6 Likes

Since there is an auto theme going. Texas will no longer approve tinted tail lights for vehicle inspections.

Solution, sand off old school tinted spray.

Repolish with plastics repair kit.

Compare.

12 Likes

Nice work Lamp! looks great.

2 Likes

If anyone needs to do a sand/polish let me know they kit can do about 3-4 sets. Mucho better than the wipe on stuff.

2 Likes

A set of gradient skeins I spun on the spinning wheel in C.A. The fiber is a really floofy Targhee. I don’t have a solid plan for this yet, but I’ll proaly be cadting on a knitted something with it soon.

8 Likes

@missydee1206 - Is that the green beans I saw in your sink? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It Sure is @mrsprovectus !!

1 Like

I made two marble automata this month, based on a popular scrollsaw project design.

I learned a great deal making the first one because there were design challenges in miniature that weren’t obvious. Tolerances of a few thousands of inches made the difference between marbles going up the run on the pistons, or not. Consequently, so did the size of the “marbles”. V1 uses small glass “no hole” beads; V2 uses #12 snake shot.

Here’s a video of the machines working.

For V2, I improved the V1 design, but I also tried an S-curved return ramp. I naively thought I could use the Shakeoko to make that ramp. Well, not so fast, Kemosabe. The ramp design required using two different bits and this reminded me that the Shapeoko doesn’t retain alignment during bit changes - at least not with the tolerance that I needed.

I resorted to routing just the internal channel with the Shapeoko. With a lot of hand shaping, and then cutting with a jeweler’s saw, I got a ramp that I could use. And in all fairness, I don’t think I could have routed the channel by hand. Ain’t CNC great?

13 Likes

In a previous career I was a mechanical designer in the bank equipment industry, working mostly in sheet metal, machined parts, and some plastic parts. I was presented with an unusual proposal at one point - design a soft good to compliment the interior of a pneumatic tube carrier. This was quite the exercise in discovering the useful resolution of materials like nylon relative to my experience in the high-precision world of predominantly steel parts. The first few concepts I proposed to prospective vendors exceeded the effective resolution of the material and production methods - features at a tenth of an inch are simply too small and could not be reliably produced and the design was packed with too many features. After a few iterations I ended up with a workable concept with about half of the number of design features I started off with … and the project was cancelled.

But I still struggle with useful resolution - as witnessed by my numerous iterations on the laser cutter.

1 Like

Shout out to Phil and Mitch today for teaching us how to move metal to make something! This cool hook from square bar stock is my first forging and it’s going on my garage wall to hold up my welding jacket.Uploading… Uploading…

Made the design for these stickers and had them made (deadlines and such). Which made me wonder if we have the ability to print on vinyl sticker material at the Space as I’d much rather be able to make these myself. It seems to be a vinyl material that was printed on and then there is a thin coating on the vinyl that apparently lets you even run these things through a dishwasher.

I Rigged This Election With My Vote - “I Voted” Sticker Parody

(available on Etsy)

2 Likes

No we can’t print on vinyl at the space. Closest you have is the sub dye printer.

1 Like

The is the result of the first CNC Plasmacutter class. This keyring design was a quick throw together as my DXF didn’t want to work.

11 Likes

Not sure why the pics never loaded, but here they are:

5 Likes
14 Likes

@TBJK,
Cool Key Chain, it reads like ODMS rather than DMS with a loop.

Made a similar file with a smaller loop if you would like.

Here is a link to the DXF(1 inch scale).

Nice Shot, Man!

Did I hear a dog yelp right about when it landed?

We also have an Xyron (spelling?) machine that you can put paper into and it shoots out as a sticker at the other side (it’s a scrapbooking thing but useful for lots of things) it’s .10 a foot to use. It’s a blue plastic cheap looking thing with a darker blue handle. On the general supply shelves.