Dallas Makerspace Annual Meeting (including board of directors election) 4/23/17 @ 4:00pm

I think that is a fine idea; of course the devil is in the details. We could immediately implement something like that for at least developing an agenda for the member meetings, even if we didn’t replace them right away.

However, I’m not sure it addresses the underlying issue. IMO, there is no consensus around what is an appropriate topic for a member meeting. What should we discuss in these meetings? There is even less agreement around what we should vote on in these meetings; some would say there is nothing we should vote on other than the annual election. Watching all this unfold over the past year that I’ve been a member, I am left scratching my head trying to understand the purpose of a monthly member meeting. It is the reason I’ve not attended the past 2 months. Could this be a primary reason no one shows up for them?

BTW, I think this is a perfect time to have this discussion. I think members might want to know where their candidates stand on this topic. Do the BOD candidates favor a more autocratic leadership style or do they believe that some decisions about the culture and direction of DMS should be left to the small group of members that have enough initiative to show up to the meetings?

In the very least we could use the membership meetings as preambles to the board meeting, discussing the stuff on the board agenda so the board meetings don’t have to be 5 hours long discussion fests

9 Likes

Already there. At least in my view. Meetings are supposed to use Modified SRC3 Process. The gist of that says “use any communications resource available to have discussions and make decisions BEFORE the meetings. Come to meetings to finalize decisions and cast votes”. Anyone can post any item to the agenda for any meeting up until the deadline.

The purpose of Member Meetings is SUPPOSED to be to take care of 'Space business that does not require the Board. Purchasing decisions, coordination of efforts amongst committees, BS like whether to shun someone who’s being a pain in the ass. That sort of thing.
The reason no one shows up is compound in nature and scope, and thus encompasses what you said.

Regretfully, I think the BOD favors getting shit done. The reason it has evolved this way is because the membership allowed it. So everything was thrust into the BOD meetings, whether it should have been or not. Instead of handling business outside of the meetings, and meeting to confirm what had already been decided, we get together to complain. Then the BOD has to step in and make a decision. This can only happen at a BOD meeting, so that’s when it happens.
The way to fix this is to take business back to where it should be handled. If it doesn’t need BOD (and much of the business could be handled without their explicit involvement) get it done at a Member Meeting. Only capital expenditures and the like should be bothering the board. And again, discussion should happen outside of the meeting, with the meeting being the time to solidify the plan and record votes. Getting meetings back to basics (short, to the point, on topic, no bickering or arguing, etc.) would be a huge step toward getting people to attend, in my opinion.

Probably worth what was paid…

4 Likes

:smile: I agree, I’ve probably discussed member meeting ideas with 20+ different people in the last few weeks and damn if the details don’t make everything harder.

There is definitely a mix of opinions on the use of member voting rights.

Our early BODs of the space put a large percentage of decision making in the member meetings. This was back 4-ish years ago when we would allow any member to run the meeting. Once we added the hierarchy of leading the member meetings (Board Members if present, then Committee Heads if present, then Officers if present, then Members) I think this was the straw broke our participation levels the most. As the meeting were run very inefficiently, often spending 2 hours or more just covering committee reports before any voting items were presented to the group. You would see a meeting go from quorum to 10 or 15 people during this time.

From that point on making Quorum was almost none existent. It had gotten so bad that we added the resetting of voting rights after the election to hopefully bring back the meetings as quorum would drop to very approach numbers for in person meetings. But, you highlighted the response to that and the attacks against member voting rights in order to allow the board to decide all.

This is a quick history based on what I’ve observed. I’ll warn this is my view I may be too biased to fully explain, especially since the hierarchy rule I mentioned was added to thwart my attempt to lead a member meeting. History is long and I have much of it here at the space.

3 Likes

How about abandoning member meetings altogether except for an annual meeting where the BoD is elected. Big referenda like bylaw changes can be voted there. Also, I’d advocate a system where only Committee Chairs can put items to the BoD agenda. That means committees meet monthly to discuss issues and purchases and whether or not to send them to the board. Couple that with an elected group of 3 or so for personal conflicts resolution and you’ve given the board room to lead.

Governance at DMS is more than chaotic, I see places where it’s actually damaging at this size. It may have worked in the past, but I’m not sure it will serve you well for your future.

1 Like

Can’t say that would not be a bad idea. But they also should spend it on their own committee.

1 Like

Sayeth the expert in all things oranizational. Your opinion is just that, and your continual use of the pronoun “you” (pl) versus “us” reinforces that you (sg) still see yourself as the outside savior of our little unruly tribe.

(edit: Credit where credit is due: Others have come to the same conclusion, but have not posted the message on here.)

8 Likes

No. I see myself labeled as an outsider not considered worthy for inclusion by a small but strong-minded gang of self appointed leaders on the Talk forum. The board is most definitely NOT in that group. They’ve made me feel very welcome. I have made friendly acquaintances among the day makers, so it’s not them either. It’s the fierce protectors of the status quo that I seem to but heads with.

It’s an important observation you made, though. I’ll think on it.

Some people create their own reality.

4 Likes

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

4 Likes

Perhaps you are correct. I’ll just consider myself one of the gang and see what happens next.

1 Like

While I’m not going to endorse Cindy’s writing style and frequency, I’m actually going to agree with this statement. Our current structure worked well at 200 members, but works against us now. We have no executive group (Managers who deal with day to day stuff), and consequently our Board is consumed by things which should be delegated to a manager, and have abandoned and ignored the actual duties of Directors - to manage the money, to define policy and goals, to plan for the future, and to ensure DMS accomplishes its mission.

Our Committee structure, which vests far to much authority in the hands of the Committee Chairman, actively discourages volunteer participation, and as a consequence, the “community” of members who make decisions and run the space, is still focused in the hands of perhaps 20 members - and that number continues to shrink, as the old ladybird crew grow up, have kids, get new jobs, etc. And these people naturally cling to their fond memories of bygone days, never realizing that those same feelings are strangling DMS as it moves towards the future. DMS desperately needs to build it’s volunteer cadre, and it desperately needs Directors to be Directors, and not shop foremen.

9 Likes

whoo-hoo! 5 candiates for BOD. It’s shaping up pretty good. Cheers to the 5. 2 days left for anyone else crazy enough to run.

1 Like

And finally an incumbent! Good luck Robert! You have done many amazing things around the space over the years, so thank you for your continued dedication!

2 Likes

Most people don’t see the amount of work done behind the scenes to keep things running. For instance there would not be an automotive committee at DMS without Robert’s help to clear administrative hurdles in the past.

5 Likes

This is what I’m gunning for as a BoD member, I think doing a part time (20+ hours a week) manager role for essentially a director role is not how you retain volunteers. The board members have jobs and lives and don’t get paid or any incentives (and no honorariums either). Some chair people also volunteer tons of time to make sure their committee succeeds which is great but it’s like pulling teeth to get anyone into leadership. There’s little incentive for volunteering. I sure don’t want to micro-manage adults and we shouldn’t have to.

1 Like

:bulb::blankspace: Some very important dates coming up soon! :blankspace: :dms:

[quote="AlexRhodes, post:1, topic:18248"] Important dates to consider... Deadline to be included on the ballot: April 12th at 9:00 PM Candidate Q&A at member meeting: April 13th at 7:00 PM Deadline to request voting rights to vote online: April 15th at 12:00 PM Annual meeting begins: April 23rd at 4:00 PM In person voting cutoff: April 23rd at 5:30 PM [/quote]
2 Likes

Any shot someone is willing to record at least audio on this? (and share it)
Some of us are previously engaged on Thursday at 7:00PM…

1 Like

Perhaps @Team_Digital_Media will consider setting up to stream & record it… ???

Alex (@rffalex), I can add you our official YouTube channel if you’d like… :wink: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Can someone live-stream this?

Preferably on either:

• Periscope
  • Youtube