Cutting small pieces with bevel

I am wanting to cut some small pieces (3.75" x 1.25") with 22.5 degree bevels. Looking for someone to work with to learn. I am open most times

1 Like

If you want the end at a 22.5 degree angle, use a miter gauge on a bandsaw.

If you want an edge beveled, use the router table. If you cannot find a 22.5 degree bit, make a jig to hold the piece at an angle.

Kinda confused on this post. Did you mean miter? The wood shops miter saw should have a positive stop for 22.5 degrees

Sorry, shorthanded the dimensions. I trying to build a cube shape using wood between 5/16 and 1/2 thick (all the same size, just not sure what at this time). 6 pieces are 3.75 square and 12 are 3.75 long and 1.25 wide. I am wanting to miter the edges to 22.5 degrees and mate all the pieces forming a cube. To fill the corners of the cube, there will be triangles, and I need to work on the dimensions for them. I saw the post about the small part sleds, and I know that is out because of the angle cut. I do not have knowledge of the Incra or micro jig.
Hope this clarifies it.

I am not thinking of using the miter saw on parts this small.

2 Likes

Two ideas.

1. Unless your pieces have bevels on all edges, I’d cut a long strip of wood with the bevel on the long edge(s) and then cross cut to length.

2. The small parts sled is not out of the question if you make a holder that fits onto the sled and holds your part at an angle so you can keep the blade vertical. You can use the miter saw to cut the correct angle on the “holder”, or you can laser cut several thin pieces and stack them together. Use DS turner’s tape to hold the holder into the sled.

2 Likes

If you plan to do a lot of this kind of thing, I recommend buying this particular tilt arbor saw:

with a 3-1/4" carbide-tipped blade. Available from Micromark for $50 or Proxxon for about $32.

If that had been available many years ago, I may have bought one.

I had thought many times about making a tiny table saw using a Dremel tool, but could not find a way to make an accurate miter gauge and rip fence.

Today, I would just laser cut it. Some have been able to bevel edges by using closely spaced lines with increasing power.

There are lots of tiny table saws on the market (for a lot less money, too) but if you’re cutting anything beyond 1/8" basswood you would want something like this one.

Excellent suggestion. You could make a beveled wedge to sit your part on and then a vertical cut would give you a “beveled edge”.

1 Like

A hand tool aficionado would say trimming small pieces like this could be easily done with an easiy made purpose built shooting jib and a block plane

Small pieces and power tools are the primary ingredients in potential injury recipes

1 Like