Cutting glass underwater

Cutting glass underwater

Any body ever done this? If it works, would be great.

@meanbaby you ever done this?

Interesting. We’d need those heavy-duty scissors, and the vat of water… (Don’t want to do it in the sink, because there are definitely shards you’d have to clean up.)

Looks like he is using these Scotch Precision Titanium Scissors.

1 Like

My guess would be even if you used nippers it would reduce cracking based on how it is supposed to work. I’m going to try it at some point… May try: Ti scissors, nippers, aviation snips.

He wasted so much glass though…just use a rotary or a grinder and keep it wet

they said “its not even that rough of an edge” and I just started laughing. Tremendous waste of glass, use a carbide cutter and running pliers and get much smoother edges.

Yeah – but you won’t get a circle easily. Straight edges? Absolutely better for less effort.

And, I wouldn’t waste a whole sheet of glass that way. I’d cut my square, and nip off the corners underwater. And, now that it’s been said, we do already have mosaic “nippers”.

Hmmm… plotting about a tub of water…

As far as the size of the piece of glass and “waste”, I suspect this was more to demonstrate what can be done rather than making something and conserving material - which I think was the goal of video.

1 Like

Naw, I have not tried it. 2 things come to mind. Look at how fractured that edge is. Hit the with some heat and it could possibly split all over the place when fired. Then look how thin that glass is, I don’t think that what I usually use.

Give me glass cutter tool or a saw so I can get an accurate cut.:grin:

1 Like

This (much older, much crappier) video appears to use what I would consider a “thick” chunk of glass… not that this negates your other points.

Whether useful in the vein of “glassworks” or not, it’s still an interesting phenomenon (that recirculates every few years…maybe one day I will get to actually try it out, or at least be in the room when someone else does…)

ADD: Cutting Glass With Scissors! - YouTube

I could not open the other video. Give it a try and let us know how it goes. Also, keep in mind some glasses are harder than others.

There is some 1.5 to 2mm window glass under the light table you are welcome to test with.

1 Like

Did anyone try this? Did it work?

Not yet. We don’t have those heavy duty scissors he’s using, and I haven’t needed to cut any glass.

Sue and Carine have those scissors :grin:

1 Like