Cutting DiBond on the MultiCAM

As you know I have been working on a 3D printer build, the primary frame is built using DiBond sign paneling.

DiBond is a ply material with two 0.3 mm aluminum surface layers with a polyethylene core.

I know we can’t machine aluminum on the MultiCAM but I can’t laser cut the material either. Is there a way I could request an exception? Is it a case of the dust collection or the bits?

Unfortunately, the shapeoko is too small for these panels.

I just thought I’d ask.

I am not familiar with it, what bit do people usually use to cut it? Once you find out the bit, look for speeds and feeds. As for cleaning up, we can look to hook up a shop vac or the old dust collection unit from the old space. Lets do it before we put on a new spoil board, I am worried about the chips being embedded in the spoil board and ruining someones wood that comes after you. Would you be holding it down with the vacuum? screwing it to scrap MDF and then using the vacuum?

1 Like

I haven’t tested on the MultiCAM yet, I’ll do that first.

I think the chips would get in the spoil board so I’d probably be willing to use a scrap MDF piece.

It’s very soft material, it’s originally mean to be commercial signboard material. Like this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yb-ucJAO6M

Will it fit in the HAAS?

The sheets I want to cut are close to 4x4 feet so probably not.

This seems to behave a lot like the 2 color plastic stuff. I’m guessing if you didn’t do a profile (and only outlined the border for cutting by hand or something), there’d be little risk of embedding aluminum in the spoil board.

How much does this stuff cost Mitch? For comparison, good 2’x2’ two color sign plastic is about $19.

Curious, how often are the spoil boards replaced (I know It depends but on average). There is demand for machining aluminum and plastic. If there could be a week, say once a quarter for metal cutting that would get the last bit of use out of the spoil board just before changing it, it might expand the use of its capabilities. But then again, that creates a whole new set of logistics problems and separate tool libraries, tool costs, clean up, vacuum set-up, etc… So maybe not practical I may be more desirable to keep the Wood Shop just wood. But I understand Mitch’s desire and need.

I have machined a composite aluminum panel once using a desktop CNC machine. Some observations from my brief experience…

I used the same 1/8" carbide end-mill I use to machine wood (nothing special).

I used MeshCAM / default settings to create the toolpath. It used a plunge rate about one-third that of hardwood and a feedrate divided by about 1.5 that of hardwood. I have no way of knowing the spindle speed. Those differences worked very well. Clean aluminum edges; the plastic core produced “strings” that were easily removed with sandpaper. No unusual noise. Accurate machining.

The work material was held in place by double-sided tape.

Machining wood tends to produce dust. Machining the composite did not: small uniform chips. Normal vacuuming captured all the chips.

1 Like

I looked up the properties of DiBond. It is 0.3mm (0.012 in. Aluminum laminated to polyethylene. Isawcseveral videos abount cnc cutting, but no practical data on spindle speed, tools etc. Should easily, but may have issue with melting the core without correct toolsv and speeds.

2 Likes

The stuff I have has 0.20 mm aluminum plates and is 3.00 mm thick overall. I have no idea what the plastic is.

1 Like

Where did you buy the dibond mitch? It might be a neat project to build a 4x4 cnc like the shapeoko for milling thin dibond or aluminum… Misumi makes dense 30x30 extrusion that is heavier than normal…

Could use a rotozip tool… Or other spindle motor.

I haven’t bought it yet, I wanted to make sure I could cut it.

Allied Plastic Supply I think sell it and they’re close to the 'space.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Mendel90 RepRap Build

Hey Mitch I was thinking about this. If you plan on cutting out the Di-Bond, an option would be to first cut out a template using 1/4" or 1/2" MDF. Clamp the DiBond to the MDF and use a hand router with a flush cut bit and bearing to trace out the templates. Yes it’s more work and expense but you should get some nice repeatable cuts.

3 Likes

That sounds like a fantastic project.