Cutting 2020 T-slot extrusion

I need to cut two pieces of 2020 T-slot extrusion, but I’m not sure what tools the metal shop has. Do we have a miter saw for aluminum/metal? If so, how do I go about getting trained on it?

Yes

Show up for Tool Time with Tim

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/19256

2 Likes

Registered, thanks!

1 Like

Take the extrusions with you Thursday

How precise a cut do you need? Size of stock? If you need multiple pieces be sure to make stop to but the next piece up against.

If need precision squareness, use Milling Machine, will give best surface finish. If slightly less precise okay, Cold Cut - Aluminum saw. Just make sure to verify squareness before cutting: Check for squareness the cut a small piece off the drop-off end, say 1/2", then check, if good do the cut.

2 Likes

I’ll definitely bring the extrusions with me Thursday. The cuts don’t need to be super precise, I’m more worried about getting them square. They’re currently 500mm long, and I need to cut them to 420mm long for a PC case mod I’m working on. I’m building a new PC in a Thermaltake Core P3 case, and I’ve replaced the original standoffs for the glass with 200mm extrusions, to make modding easier. There is 420mm between the extrusions horizontally and vertically. These two pieces will go vertically between the front standoffs (pictured), allowing me to easily (with some 3d printed brackets) bolt on either 3x120mm fans, or 3x140mm. I may cut two other pieces for the top, to mount a 360mm radiator.

And I should have tagged the Tim @TBJK

I’m trying to do something similar for my 3d printer.

In my case I’ll try to get four lengths which are the same size, making three sets of those four for X Y and Z. That way my axes will be perpendicular, which is more important than having X and Y the same length. Ideally, all the ends would be cut square.

I’m thinking, cut oversized on the orange saw, clamping them against a flat surface on the Bridgeport, verify that the head is trammed and the clamp is square, then mill all four extrusions at once. The ends are not square to start, but the sides of the extrusions will always be true, so I’d need to mill both ends.

If it was the Kalamazoo I’d just shim the extrusions, cut it and be done, but that orange aluminum saw wobbles like heck and the Bridgeport is only 15 ft away.

Note to whom it may concern…You can always decide to 3D print t-track:

3 Likes

Well, crap - the weather this evening doesn’t look too good. I’ll have to try to make the next event!

I machined the extrusions and assembled my frame. The orange miter saw worked better than I expected; it slides out really far so I could’ve cut all my extrusions in one go. The Bridgeport setup was easy, too. If the orange saw is square it’s probably good enough, but it didn’t take that long to machine. (I only had to machine one end.)

7 Likes