Custom Framing for 30x30

Looks like the artwork size limit is 36" square. Does anybody know where I can get custom framing for a 30x30" piece that isn’t too expensive?

1 Like

The woodshop?

I kid I kid, and no I don’t know of any cheap options for custom sizes. Maybe @Hardsuit could answer.

Define expensive

Yeah, that’s my last resort. Also, I’ve had trouble finding big enough mat to cut myself to buy, which may be what’s driving the price up.

Quote from Michael’s was $175 for black frame with white mat. I’m calling around to custom framing shops now, but its lunchtime.

Under $5 if you can use the tools in woodshop and are ok with a white pine frame with a couple knots in it. You can make surprisingly nice frames out of a 2 by 4…

3 Likes

Do you know where I can buy mat that large? The largest size I’m finding online is 32"x40"

Apparently a full sheet is 40x60:
https://www.customframingwholesale.com/store/FULL-Sheets-40-x-60-Matboard/

Just need to find somewhere that will ship or stocks locally.

1 Like

We have a member that owns a Custom Framing and matting shop in Lewisville., might could help you find the mad and maybe even help you cut it. I know in the past he has help people with doing project framing around Christmas. If they were willing to come to shop and work with him on times when he’s available.

1 Like

Have you contacted an Asel Art store,?

Or called Tom Tansy @TLAR at Premier Art Gallery in Lower Mound? You bout the framing coaching from him during the CA silent auction.

1 Like

The limit on that was 16x20" and I don’t want to take advantage of him. But yes, I’ll be contacting him.

I think we have a hand held mat cutter, which would allow cutting any size. I’d have to double-check the drawer with the framing supplies in CA

1 Like

We have a new one at @TLAR’s shop that we’re just waiting to get into the new space for so we can ensure a solution that will keep it from getting broken.

Edit: Also, I didn’t mean to hijack this thread, I should have created my own post. If an admin wants to split this framing discussion off of this thread that would be great.

Just meant he would know whether bigass mat board is available somewhere.

2 Likes

Shame the wall mounted glass/ Matt cutter that was suppose to go to Glassworks got given away in the CA big clean up.

This was a big loss for the Glass Dept, and would have been perfect for this project.

Just wondering about the large wall mount cutter. I saw one just Tuesday on the wall right behind all the stuff at the vinyl computer desk.

Is that part that could help, provided it works?

The mat cutter works fine aside from possibly needing a new blade. The wall mounted glass cutter did not unless something changed from the last time I checked it. Hobby Lobby sells cut glass at reasonable prices too if anyone’s still looking

I know nothing about that. When was that decided?

1 Like

Shay, there “was” a really large glass/Matt wall mount cutter in the Anex room Printing was in. CA tried to sell it but there were no takers. Nicole agreed it would go to GlassWorks when we got our space. At one time it was mark glass dept. it was a donation from Tom T.
Its gone, I was told it went on the freebie shelf during the CA clean up.

At a time of cut backs buying a new one will have to wait.

@Jeeves may have some ideas?