Custom Electrode to be Machined?

Got a bit of a weird one here…Anyone know someone in the DFW area that can machine this? Need 1 pc

I assume this drawing is in MM. If so it could be done on the HAAS at the space if you got creative with the fixturing.

Otherwise I would talk to these guys: http://www.halseymfg.com/

1 Like

I just saw the through bore on the part… I would send it back to engineering. A 1/4 in hole 1.3 meters long is a total pain in the ass to make.

Uh, just curious, but is that a material that we allow in the machine tools?

1 Like

Got a dime here that says it’s for cooling fluid. How many thousands of amps is this designed to carry? hahaha

1 Like

My understanding is that as long as you are not melting, grinding or eating it, Beryllium copper is safe.

1 Like

While there is some anecdotal opinion to that effect, there seems to be quite a body of evidence that suggests otherwise. Beryllium is a Category I carcinogen, and machining requires significant precautions. @Photomancer, you need to weigh in on this.

Here is a link to the US Navy’s Fleet Readiness Center’s guide to machining Copper Beryllium.

There are extensive handling precautions including cleaning the machinery afterwards, pumping the coolant reservoirs, segregating chips, and hazardous waste requirements.

Key requirements include:

• PPE requirements when handling beryllium copper & cleaning equipment used to manufacture or equipment used to manufacture or repair beryllium copper parts:
    – Tyvek coveralls
    . . .
    – Leather gloves while installing or removing material

Any clean up of copper beryllium residue shall be performed in fashion that does not create dust:
– The use of compressed air or brooms is prohibited
– Use HEPA vacuum and wet methods such as with wet rags or alcohol
wipes preferred.
– Leather gloves and tools (tongs, scoops, shovels, etc.) used to clean up beryllium turnings, chips, and other residue
– Machined parts should be thoroughly cleaned of loose particulate prior to handling
– Machinery used for machining beryllium copper alloys shall be cleaned and coolant reservoirs pumped prior to use on other alloys.

2 Likes

Amazing Info…Thanks!

1 Like