Current workflow for the MultiCam

I took the training for the Multicam some time ago. I never got the test done.

I’d like to get up to speed on that tool. What is the current software process recommended ? I’d like to practice on that part first. And get something set up for the test eventually.

As in is it all in V-carve, or do I need a CAD drawing from something else first. ( Too many different workflows at DMS. They all blur together… )

Thanks,

Todd

Vcarve is most common at DMS. Others, e.g Fusion 360, work as well as long as they produce compatible gcode.

Do you ever get to 'Space during weekdays?

Also, @Team_Multicam

Once in a while. Mostly weekends for me.

We teach VCarve in the class since it has a very sort learning curve and is the easiest way to get the new user up and running on the machine.

Some folks use Fusion 360, but there are multiple ways to hurt yourself (i.e. the machine) using Fusion if you don’t get all the setting correct. Fusion 360 is complicated and has many pits which the beginner may fined inescapable.

1 Like

Just to be clear, you can always do the design in Fusion360 and not use the CAM portion. Export DXFs and import into VCarve for the CAM.

2 Likes

I’ve done that many times with Inventor and SolidWorks. It’s a good compromise. The only caveat I’ve found is the projection. For example “current view” is unlikely to produce the desired result but “front” is.

2 Likes

OK…if you master your software of choice and want to take a dry run/have a quick refresher as to basic (that’s all I got!) mechanics of running a job, I am happy to help during weekdays. Lots of other folks are probably happy to do the same at more convenient hours for you.

1 Like

I have the basics in Fusion360, and am somewhat comfortable with FreeCAD.

V-carve I haven’t touched since I took the class.

Thanks @mblatz. May take you up on that after I spend enough time to get the basics down again.

1 Like

I have used parametric CAD a few times for this. I typically design all my parts and then create a “part” that is 4x8 (sheet size). I then create an assembly with that sheet and constrain the parts to lay down on the sheet. From there, I create a drawing of that assembly and make sure the scale is 1:1. It gets a little tricky once you try to organize stuff on layers.

This is the basic process I used for the personal storage shelves (Inventor) and the “Game of Thrones” chest I made (Solidworks).

3 Likes

I created a little album to possibly explain this a bit better (with some screenshots) and show the reason the drawings and parts look a bit weird (photos). I was going for a box that uses joints that looked water tight from the outside by using a rounding bit in the process. This was done to avoid the inner cut problems on the CNC but still be CNC’able.

4 Likes

Piece showing joinery. Uses a rounding bit and the rounded cut goes in a bit deeper in real life…

Did you make the wasteboard Z = 0 or did you make the top of the stock Z = 0? (Alex taught us to use the top of the stock.)

Did you create the toolpaths in VCarve?

If yes, was the rounding bit toolpath a simple outline done last?

I always use the top of the stock/material as Z=0. It looks weird in the layout assembly simply because the pieces are on top of the stock, but once you do a drawing from the top as a 2D DXF, it doesn’t really matter (makes it easier to see and avoid Z-fighting etc.).

All of the tool paths were created in VCarve from exported DXFs. I think I actually created a custom “form tool” for the bit I used in VCarve so that the previews would look accurate. You can basically create some geometry in VCarve that is a profile of your bit and it will simulate the cuts with a bit that looks like this.

The rounding bit tool paths were just small little straight lines. It actually got a little complicated to do that, because rounding bits don’t come down to a fine point, so I couldn’t just use the outside edge. Instead I think I had to copy all those lines and offset them myself. To put it another way, the bits have a flat part typically as can be seen on the second image of the bit I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P4LXSO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Notice also how the radius is 0.25" on each side, the middle is 0.24", but somehow the total width is 0.75" :slight_smile:.

I also feel like the arc in those bits drop a bit lower so I had to offset the height just a little bit. It was certainly a bit more trial and error via test fits than it should have been.

2 Likes

I usually recommend Whiteside bits because of their high quality, low price and Amazon availability. However, Magnate has point cutting roundover bits in all sizes with the same quality/price but cannot be purchased on Amazon. This is the 1/8 roundover that I have used in the past. https://www.magnate.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=7507

3 Likes