Current status of expansion for automotive?

What is the latest status on the "expansion & move of automotive?

2 Likes

little to no progress because the offices that handle the permits for it are and have been closed so they havent been doing any of the permit stuff on the red tape side.

1 Like

Pierce this reply is not directed at you.
If the city of Carrollton is not issuing any permits currenty and hasn’t been since this Covid crap then Automotive and the entire new construction world (in carrollton) OUTSIDE the DMS has been put on “indefinite hold” ?
Really???

1 Like

Was there ever any conclusion on the fire safety engineering study-thingy required by the fire marshall/owner? If memory serves, that is the critical blocker for moving forward.

1 Like

I reached out to fire engineers that were able to do
the work and delivered a quote to the board for the fire engineer to date I believe no action has happened.

3 Likes

Any idea what offices you are referencing? To my understanding Carrollton Building Inspection Department has stayed open during the COVID-19 lock down as part of the essential jobs group for construction. I had the understanding through talking to them last week that they are still giving permits. Not trying to stoke any flames, just hoping to clarify the hold up.
Thanks,
Nick

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This was a quote for an FE to make recommendations, not quote the work needed, correct?

Exactly this was to pay the Subject Matter Expert to provide a list of what is needed to be in compliance.
Precursor to the actual work.

Part of the permitting process is to have the Landlord officially add the use of vehicles inside the building. The current lease agreement plainly states " no vehicles". All amendments to our lease can only be done through our Board of Directors. We had a quasi agreement years ago but the current lease needs to be upgraded.

The last I checked, a few weeks ago, only emergency permits were being issued due to the Pandemic. Will know in a few days when I take the next set of Expansion drawings in for a permit. The next construction phase is the 22 foot tall wall around Blacksmith. the new wall for Digital Media, the new wall for the aisle through the Pillar Room, and several doors to be changed around.

5 Likes

According to the City of Carrollton website:
https://www.cityofcarrollton.com/departments/departments-a-f/building-inspection

They have had photo/video inspections available since mid-March to be used in lieu of on-site inspections as well. This Page:
https://www.cityofcarrollton.com/departments/departments-a-f/building-inspection/my-development/inspection-services

outlines the new procedures and the specific photo requirements for electrical, plumbing, et al.

Perhaps we can again move forward on the next stage(s)?

re: Building Walls
Rich, are all the permits in place to allow this work to move forward? What are the next steps/potential roadblocks on this stage of the build out?

re: Lease Changes
Are there any impediments to getting the lease changes implemented? Is that being worked? (doesn’t seem like City Hall closures would be a factor on that…) Are the permits dependent on the lease changes, or is that a parallel effort? That sounds like something someone on the Board could be working on and get it off your plate.

2 Likes

Pretty sure this is what Rich was referring to when he said ‘take the next set of expansion drawings in for a permit’.

Perhaps. I read the wall build out as step X and the permit requests were for Step X+1 or X+2.

Scheduling permitting/inspection takes a while, and so is often done well in advance of the very next step unless it is dependent on a previous step reaching a conclusion.

1 Like

The Board has a quote for the Fire Inspector’s quote in hand. No need to accept the quote until the Landlord officially allows vehicles inside the building and amends the lease agreement to state that. This is in the hands of the Board.

The construction drawings for the wall build out is in process and almost complete. Not any easy task since it involves not just building walls but adding/moving Fire Alarm sensors, Fire sprinkler systems, doors through fire walls, emergency exit routes, ventilation systems, construction materials, insulation requirements, ceiling lighting, electrical systems, and whatever else the City requires. Then onto the quote process and permitting stages. It all takes time to get things done right.

8 Likes

Thanks for the clarification, Rich.

2 Likes

Will know in a few days when I take the next set of Expansion drawings in for a permit. The next construction phase is the 22 foot tall wall around Blacksmith. the new wall for Digital Media, the new wall for the aisle through the Pillar Room, and several doors to be changed around.

Can you post a floor plan of where the new walls are going ?

1 Like

Thanks @HankCowdog for confirming my understanding. Had to pull a plumbing permit myself and figured the information @PearceDunlap was referencing was either out of date or involved a different office than the Building Inspection Department.

Thanks @richmeyer for the updates. Finger crossed we can get as much of the expansions done in this period of limbo as possible.

2 Likes

Just referencing what rich had already said in another thread