Current sewing SIG training?

I haven’t seen any sewing classes or office hours listed lately. I have a project to work on that will include up to 2 layers of nylon webbing, 1 layer of fairly heavy polyester felt, and 2 layers of outdoor polyester upholstery fabric as backing. This is potentially sounding like a Thor project from that stack up, or maybe just from the amount of material that will need to pass through the throat.

@dryad2b any feedback on path forward?

Yeah – training tends to be more request mode. Office hours were more dead than crazy, so I slacked off.

The Thor does sound best for all that. You’ll need to go to Sunny Sewing, and buy a needle. All of our needles are leather needles, so they’re basically tiny knives. I’ll get back to you on the size of needle required. Then we can figure out a good time for training…

3 Likes

I also have a heavy leather project where I will need training on the thor ga441 machine. Let me know best times to meet up.

Could you make it Wednesday 1/18 at 7 pm? I could put up a class then.

1 Like

It’s been so long I need it again. Any advice on picking up some of our own needles: Brand and size? Ball point for material and Knife for Leather. Does ballistic materials need a special needle?

I’d defer that question to Sunny Sewing. They moved to Diplomat, off of Regal. I’ll try to look at the needle size when I get back to the Space tonight. My assumption is that a regular-type sewing needle (in the special industrial size) might be good enough for ballistic. Although, it might just take the leather needle…

1 Like

Yes 1/18 works

I’ve put the class on the Calendar. It will be open for signing up sometime within the next 3 days. I’ll post the link here when it opens.

2 Likes

Just checked again and it is all full. When can you do another one?