Current Project Shoutout

Hello everybody! I’m relatively new here!

I started sewing in 2020, when I started taking fashion design classes at DCCCD. I’ve been meaning to do more personal projects outside of class, but I’ve been feeling uninspired to create recently.

SO, that leads to my question:

What have y’all been up to? What current projects have y’all sewn recently? What projects are y’all wanting to start?

I’m hoping this might be a thread to inspire me and hopefully to inspire others!

5 Likes

My most recent project for my class final this past spring semester 2022!

12 Likes

That’s fantastic!!

I hear rumors of more sewing classes in the future that I’m excited to take. You should teach some! It’s a fantastic way to get involved in the space and even make some pocket change! Sewing classes are VERY popular

5 Likes

Please do teach! It is also a great resume builder. The great thing you pick what you want teach. Teaching how to develop patterns, modifying existing ones, draping, etc. would be greatly received IMO.

You’d be a super hero of sorts!

3 Likes

@Photomancer @noblegoblin ya know, I COULD spare a day each month to teach! I have all my materials from class and several patterns, so I could do a high level intro course/series for anyone interested!

So, anyone interested? Lol

5 Likes

I would be interested!!!

2 Likes

:clap:t5: YES!!!

I’m still relatively new to garment sewing myself, but I can certainly pass along any techniques and other knowledge I have!

Have you been sewing for a while?

1 Like

I think you’ll find interest. As a bonus you’ll also receive a $50 Honorarium … that will pay most of your monthly dues. I’ve taught classes in the past, I think you’ll find it’ll up your game since you think about the subject more, refresh your knowledge, then get to teach.

Most people that have never taught are worried about it. My experience is: If you technically know the material at the level you’re teaching, you’ll be okay. Don’t try to rush those first times teaching - you’ll be become more relaxed and do just fine and then start to really enjoy it.

Just something like a sheet of paper or index card with bullets on it high level outline of what you want to cover will keep you on track. The instructors that struggle IMO are those that aren’t organized and just wander about on the topic.

You may find teaching more than once a month will appeal to you. If you are already coming up to DMS to do your own projects an use DMS equipment, you already have the travel time invested, so if you can stay another couple of hours for a class - it’s easy.

Remember - a class doesn’t have teach a whole garment. Could be series: How to fit sleeves to body without puckering, how to put darts in for various bust lines, various types of yokes. Also you’re audience can be Cosplay/Steam/Cyber punk people - let your creativity go wild.

Look forward to seeing you.

6 Likes

Super interested! Get with @Print_Witch as she’s teaching a few currently. I know she would LOVE another teacher!

3 Likes

Some people get uptight about teaching but you will find that DMS has the best students in the world. We are not professionals. We sometimes have issues with a demo or don’t know an answer. Its not a problem. It often creates a discussion and you might be surprised that students have had the same issue and may have solved it.

I believe that classes were the driving force that made DMS great in the pre-Covid days. We are still very short on classes but steadily increasing.

4 Likes