Creality cr-falcon laser

I’ve recently gotten my hands on a 5w (output from my understanding) desktop laser to add to my meager collection of home toys.

I’m getting conflicting answers about what its capable of.

Some are saying that a 5w can cut 3mm bass, leather and acrylic among other things along with marking metal (with cermark or dry moly), slate coasters/sushi boards/charcuterie boards, cutting boards and engrave almost anything except clear glass (unless coated) and metal.

Others are saying its a waste of money that can only cut paper and engrave cardboard.

I haven’t opened or put it together as of yet (rearranging my work area to accommodate it) but it retails for $349.99, currently on sale at Microcenter for $249.99 and got an open box buy for $199.99 so I didn’t think it would hurt much.

I have almost zero experience with CNC lasers, so…thoughts?

I doubt it will be able to cut 3mm brass. Im not a laser guy.

Sorry…not brass.
Basswood.
Apparently I just put bass.
Though i imagine it would cut a fish…
Doubt I’ll try though, lol

1 Like

Apparently I have a comprehension problem at the moment. Lol

I have that issue all the time, lol

As a data point, our 60W Epilog requires 100% power at 30% speed to cut 3/32" basswood (2.4mm) (EDIT: actual settings from personal experience). Perhaps you could cut 3mm (1/8") basswood with a 5W laser if you used several passes, possibly refocused in between them.

If you’re going to cut basswood at very slow speeds and high power, you will probably need air assist so it doesn’t ignite.

1 Like

I read brass, too. LOL.

It may cut 3mm basswood, but it will be very slow and probably produce a lot of charring on the edges. Leather and acrylic will also be very slow to cut. One thing to remember is “can” and “can well” are two differnt concepts.

1 Like