Could anyone PLEASE help me fix my car?

Hey Everyone!!

I’m not sure the appropriate place to post this question but I posted it to the fb group earlier and was advised to post here in stead.

I was hoping I could find someone well versed in the automotive section of the space, and may possibly be willing to help me?

I have a 2007 Audi a4 convertible. Earlier today I had to pull over bc it looked like my car was smoking…. My coolant tank was empty and the car was refusing to stay on- I am assuming it was bc it was overheating.

After letting it sit here at the gas station for a while and filling the coolant tank for a while, I finally realized that there was a huge leak under the the car that made my attempts to fill the coolant tank all for naught.

It eventually started up again easily but I was too scared to actually drive it bc I didn’t want to make it worse.

I ended up getting it towed back to my place for now. I will figure out how to get it to the space if someone is able to help.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Pls msg me if you think u may be able to!! You can also feel free to text me at 903.513.5134.

Thank everyone so much in advance!

@TLAR tiptoes through teutonic terrains, if he’s around & has time maybe he’ll answer the summons…
d’you know which engine/transmission/trim ?

2 Likes

2007 A4 Quattro 3.2 Cabriolet w automatic transmission

1 Like

Here’s to hoping that it wouldn’t stay on because an electronic nanny (that everyone loves to hate on) shut the car down before any serious damage was done.

Will the car start and drive currently? Taking it for a 30 second drive when it’s completely cold isn’t likely to do more damage.

If it runs ok still, then it’s likely just a hose or radiator, possibly a bad water pump. All those are generally do-able for a first time mechanic, but you’ll be dirty and tired after :grin:

1 Like

Agreed. I would be willing to bet that it’s either a broken hose, or a hose clamp slipped off. Easy fixes, but you definitely will be covered in grime afterwards

1 Like

It did try okay for a couple seconds this morning! I put as many fluids as I could in it just so I could run to the gas station before the sun came up and started frying everything. I mean the car was completely cool and it was only abt a half mile trip…. But yep it made it.

I should probably point out that when I say it made it there… or drove “okay”…. I’m still talking abt a car that screams in pain every time I turn bc of power steering, and basically everything thing else on it is begging for help at the same time…… but the only thing that made me REALLY worry abt the engine seizing was when this started yesterday…

Now if you guys are also interested helping me change my power steering pump, my breaks, blinker, cut the acrylic I bought to replace the rear window that some evil person shattered w a bottle, the convertible top locking into place…… and I’m assuming everything else in it too tbh :rofl:…… then, Hi! I’m Christy, ur new best friend!

Lol that’s a slight hyperbole but not that big of one :rofl::rofl:

Okay so it drove half a mile this morning without overheating. Now what?

Because car is at your home and tows are expensive, I’ll suggest same advice I gave in similar post:

If you have access to a covered, level spot where you live (e.g. a garage or carport?) it may be worth investigating mobile mechanics, i.e. a “house call”. That way your car stays with you where you can keep an eye on it, and you can check up on the work from the convenience of your home. You can also then provide your own parts. Determining what parts you need may be a bit of challenge…you or someone will need to get under the car and see if you can figure out where fluid is leaking from…maybe take a few pics.

Try a search on something like “Dallas mobile mechanics” and then seeing what comes back re: reviews and etc. If it’s just a hose or something similar (i.e. easy fix) you be back up-n-running same day. And hopefully you find a service you like/trust and they can help diagnose or repair other items you’ve mentioned.

1 Like

The…. I am not in a position to hire a mobile arm (for cash at least) had two Crainiotomies at the end of last year, for a tumor then infection. Since then I have been less and less able to find work… in my previous work area: computer science/data analyst.

That all being said- I have a metric shit ton of various maker parts if there is anything yall are looking for. I was able to save more of it than I should have in my storage shed/new place…. Talking everything from lasers to glass to electronics lol. I would be more than happy to pay y’all for ur time with toys HaHa!! :):slight_smile:

…… does anyone do FaceTime mechanic services? Lol that seems the easiest!

… no but really I’ll figure out a way to get it to the space if that’s what needs to happen!

Sorry to answer ur question re location, it’s currently parked in my apts covered by natural shade. Made sure of that in my short test drive earlier! Haha

Before ypu start any repairs, I strongly recommend starting the car abd let if run for about 30 seconds, then pull the oil dipstick.
You looking for either water droplets on the dipstick, something that looks like a dark and milk chocolate swirl or straight up Irish cream.

The second thing I would do would be to pull all of the spark plugs and check them for water droplets.

1 Like

Will do that now

Shall return!

1 Like

Okay ummm ….attaching pic of the dip stick, as well as a video of the engine running, so you guys can hear the sound. That rhythmic annoying revving sound is new…. As of today as far as I have noticed.

Okay heat is killing my phone too. I’m next. Lol one sec

Okay, I can’t really tell much on my phone, so when I get home in about 30 minutes I’ll throw it on my big Monitor and take a closer look and get back to you.

2 Likes

I’m trying to upload the video of the sound but not working on my phone either. I’ll keep trying

Thank you for all of ur help!

1 Like

Ok, I don’t see anything on the dipstick that would indicate a blown head gasket or worse a cracked head. It doesn’t always mean that it hasn’t, but it drastically improves your chances.
Any time a vehicle overheats to the point of computer shutdown, that’s the first thing you should always check.
Out of curiosity, how long did you wait for cool down before you put water/coolant in?

1 Like

You’re a quart low on oil. Not that that has anything to do with your current issues.

1 Like

We pulled over immediately and lifted the hood. Put water into it as soon as we could…. 30 mins or so?

When we opened the hood, it looked like the tank of coolant or something had leaked everywhere.

It wasn’t till another guy getting gas came over to help that I was able see underneath the car to see the leak.

So yeah I’m guessing half hr.

If u want to call or FaceTime real fast we may be able to get thru this faster without my stupid brain forgetting anything:)

That was a little quick to put water into it after on overheat like that, but you might have gotten lucky.

I’m not currently in the position or place to be able to do a video call at the moment, but feel free to DM me and we’ll work out details for me to try to come take a look in the next couple days.
From how your describing the scene under the hood, I think I may know what the issue is, but I have to get hands on to make sure.

2 Likes

I suggest NOT driving it.

Call O’Reillys or Autozone and ask them if they have a coolant system pump to loan with an Audi adapter and use it to pressurize your cooling system with the engine OFF, but filled to the max fill line on the recovery reservoir.

hoses do not “slip off” this engine unless some previous knuckhead has worked on it.

There is a shit ton of plastics in the cooling system (just like EVERY car today) and they fail.

I suspect you have a cooling fan issue - either engine or climate control related (both affect the the engine cooling).

3 Likes